Q. How can we treat cyst in the ovary?

This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 18, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am 40 years female. I have a cyst with echoes in the right ovary measuring 53 x 52 mm found during ultrasound.

What to do? I am taking tablet Thyronorm 150 mg.

#

I have gone through the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The cyst in the right ovary is found with thick walls and shows internal echoes, with size more than 4 mm.

Ideally, the differentiation is needed to be done to know whether it is endometrioma, hemorrhagic cyst, and ovarian tumor, which presents with internal echoes and often with internal septations.

So it is better to get tumor markers done to rule out any possibility of ovarian cancer, hence get CA 125 (cancer antigen 125), CEA (carcinoembryonic antigen), AFP (alpha-fetoprotein), beta hCG done.

If it is negative then, one can be assured, and you can go for medical or surgical intervention.

Considering the size, which is more than 4 mm, it is advisable to get it laparoscopically removed as it may not regress with medical management of hormonal pills or oral contraceptive pills for hemorrhagic cyst or endometrioma.

You may discuss the options with your Gynecologist in detail and try to have an informed decision.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|