Q. My mom has a fever for more than a week with bowel problems. What could cause this?

Dr. Mian Shah Yousaf
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 17, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 30, 2020

My mother is 65 years old. She is having a fever for the last seven days. She also suffers from stomach problems. For the first five days she did not have any stools, then she passes stools four times the day before yesterday, and few times yesterday. Probably she has severe amoebiasis. But her fever is not receding. What to do?

She is currently on Omez D once, Ofloxacin 200 mg bd, Azithral 500 mg OD, Vizilac one tab TDS, Metronidazole taken for five days and now stopped, ORS in ample amount.

Dr. Mian Shah Yousaf

Medical Gastroenterology
#

I reviewed your mother's history and investigation. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The history and low TLC (total leukocyte count) and low platelets on CBC (complete blood count) are suggestive of enteric fever. Kindly do the following things. It does not look like to be amoebiasis.

US (ultrasound) abdomen.

Enteric fever.

Continue Azithromycin in the same dose and complete five days. Injection. Ceftriaxone 2 gram IV in 100 ml NS daily for seven days. Tablet Paracetamol three times daily. ORS (oral rehydration solution).

Use a soft diet.

Get back to me with the US report.

| 
1 out of 1 likes

Will an oral dose of Ceftriaxone do? I will update you with the USG reports and widal slide test reports as soon as I get them.

Dr. Mian Shah Yousaf

Medical Gastroenterology
#

Yes, update me with those results. Ceftriaxone is not available in oral form. Another option is to start injection Ceftriaxone and give it till her fever subsides, which will take two to three days and then switched to tablet Cefixime 400 mg once daily and take that for five days.

| 
1 out of 1 likes

How can typhoid be cured?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife is 70 years old and was diagnosed with typhoid and was given Ceftas 200 TDS for 21 days and Argex 500 OD for seven days. The Widal test showed typhi O: 1:160, typhi H: 1:160, typhi AH: 1:80 and typhi BH: 1:40 after 10 days of treatment. The treatment was continued as above and...  Read Full »

What has to be done for fever and chills in 3 years 6 months old child?

Query: Hello doctor, Fever and chills in a child of age 3 years 6 months. A mild cough is also noticed. What can I do?  Read Full »

Are malaria and typhoid vaccines safe for a 9 month old baby?

Query: Dear Doctor, Is it safe for a 9 month baby to travel to the Dominican Republic? Also, is it safe for a 8-9 month old to take vaccines for malaria and typhoid?  Read Full »