Typhoid

How reliable is the tri-dot test?

Query: Hi doctor, I was suffering from extreme fatigue last month, so I got a Widal test, which was positive. I have had typhoid many times earlier, and two years back I got hepatitis. Last month I got LFT and CBC tests, and I am attaching the reports. LFT was normal, while CBC shows lymphopenia and macro...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I had seen the reports that you have attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity). In your CBC (complete blood count) reports, neutrophils are very high and lymphocytes count is low, which is suggestive of some acute infection in the body. Here, as the lymp...  Read Full »

Please tell me the kind of fever I have from the reports attached.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 55 year old female. I am a diabetic patient since last 10 years. I am taking Insulin, Panlipase, Shelcal, and Pantocid on regular basis. I had fever few days back and taking Calpol. The doctor suggested some tests. The reports are attached.  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. We are here to help you. I have reviewed your reports (attachments removed to protect patient identity). The urine report indicates that the sample is either contaminated or you have urinary tract infection. Now, the fever could be viral, dengue or due to urine infecti...  Read Full »

Is typhoid curable?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 29 year old male. I am suffering from fever for the last one week. Doctor told me that I am suffering with typhoid. He suggested me PECEF Duo 200, Penxo-D and Zall-XP. I have attached the reports. I have used these medicines for the last three days but still I have a temperature o...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your reports (attachments removed to protect patient identity) do show high titers of Salmonella typhi O and H antigen. The treatment offered with antibiotic, Cefpodoxime 200 mg twice a day, is to be taken ideally for 10 days along with Pen-D (Pantoprazole and Domperido...  Read Full »

After how many days of taking medication will typhoid get cured?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from typhoid from the last 10 days. Now, I have completed my seven days course. I want to ask when to report again that I am typhoid free. And I eat banana, wheat bread, milk, peanut butter, and do 30 minutes workout. Is it fine for after cardio and will this diet cause my...  Read Full »

Dr. C Elanchezhian

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You finished typhoid fever medicine course, but you see typhoid fever otherwise called enteric fever, so the main infection pathology is in our intestine wall gland. So intestine will be inflamed and weak so better take easily digestible food. Do not strain too much wit...  Read Full »

How to differentiate typhoid and jaundice from other fever?

Query: Hi doctor, I suffer from jaundice and typhoid. I have vomiting, high fever, rashes, drowsiness, and stomach pain. Whenever I consult the doctor, he gives me medicines. I do not understand, and I am confused whether he gives tablets for jaundice and typhoid or whether he provides tablets for cough, ...  Read Full »

Dr. Lohit Chauhan

Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all, jaundice is a symptom, and typhoid fever is a diagnosis. Jaundice is a state in the human body in which there is an increase in bilirubin (produced in the liver) level causing yellowish discoloration of sclera and skin. I am not sure whether you have typho...  Read Full »

What is the treatment followed for dengue and typhoid?

Query: Hi doctor, My friend is suffering from dengue and typhoid. The test for dengue showed a positive result, and typhoid titer is 1:360. Initially, he was treated with Ceftriaxone injection BD and Paracetomal for five days. But the symptoms got worse. His platelets suddenly got reduced to 21000 platele...  Read Full »

Dr. Ruth Agustin

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your friend appears to have severe dengue. Kindly do blood cultures for typhoid fever. Blood culture helps us to identify the presence of salmonella, and it guides the choice of antibiotic therapy. The petechiae can occur due to low platelet count. The bluish lips or cy...  Read Full »

How to cure fever with joint pain?

Query: Hi doctor, My brother has fever and pain in all the joints. All types of RA TEST showed a negative result, and ANTICCP is negative. He did a Widal test. The Widal test showed a positive result. Please suggest.  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your brother has a typhoid infection. He can take Ciplox 500 mg (Ciprofloxacin) twice a day, Rantac 150 mg before a meal and Multivitamin A to Z twice daily for 15 days. Take boiled water and light food which are easily digestible. Avoid eating raw vegetables. After 15 ...  Read Full »

After how many days of typhoid treatment should I repeat my Widal test?

Query: Hi doctor, Before 20 days, I was typhoid positive. Then, I had Monocef 1 g injection once a day for seven days and then I had Zanocin 400 mg tablet once a day for seven days. Now, I am on Paraxin 500 three times a day and still I have some headache. My current Widal test report is as follows. Typh...  Read Full »

Dr. Deepak Patel

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. Widal test in typhoid remains positive for up to a month and so there is no need to repeat it as you will get it positive even if typhoid is cured. We say that typhoid is cured when there is no fever for three consecutive days. There is no n...  Read Full »

My platelets count is decreasing. And I am having fever from last 6 days with continuous headache.

Query: Hi Doctor, I am having fever since last 6 days with continuous headache. I am taking Paracetamol on regular intervals, but my fever temperature is not decreasing from 100 degree, sometimes it reaches to 103 degree as well. Because of the fever my appetite is also reducing day by day. I got it checke...  Read Full »

Dr. Rajesh Gulati

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Geriatrician, Medical Oncologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com.Platelet count decreases in many other infections also, not only in dengue. If your fever temperature is not getting down with Paracetamol, then it means you had taken a very low dosage and many times it is not able to lower the temperature. You can take tablet Diclomol t...  Read Full »

I am worried about the blood test report of my son. Please guide us.

Query: Hi doctor, This is regarding the treatment given to my son for viral fever. He is 8 years 3 months old. When we observed my son's fever, I gave his 5 mL of P250 for three days. On the fourth day, I visited hospital due to continuous fever. As the blood report confirmed it as viral fever, he was pres...  Read Full »

Dr. Srinivas Rekapalli

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your child's history as you have provided and also saw the blood test reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). According to the details provided, your child's illness fits into a viral illness spectrum. I believe you are concerned about fal...  Read Full »