Typhoid

What is the possible diagnosis of fever for 10 days with abdominal pain while passing stools?

Query: Hello doctor, My 59-year-old husband has had a fever for about 10 days, the first two days it varied between 37.8 and 38.8 maximum and small diarrhea without any other symptoms. We thought it was the COVID at the beginning but it cannot be because he had no other symptoms and me and my children hav...  Read Full »

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I feel very sorry to hear about your husband, and very rightly understand your concern and temptation for his unresolving symptoms. You are perfectly right that if treatment were given rightly he should have shown some improvement but unfortunately he did until now. ...  Read Full »

Why do I have a fever on and off for a week?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 27 year old male. Doctor prescribed me Azithral and Fepanil for fever. But, the fever is on and off for the past seven days. My blood test showed normal no malaria or dengue or typhoid. First, I took Azithral and Fepanil and then the next day doctor added Cefuroxime axetil along wi...  Read Full »

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The possibilities for fever in your case are as follows: Your history of symptoms were suggestive of typhoid fever. So, in typhoid fever the response to treatment can be delayed for five days after starting the treatment. Once bacteria are killed the secretion if infl...  Read Full »

Though my mom is taking medicines for fever, it is not subsiding. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother is 65 years old. She is having a fever for the last seven days. She also suffers from stomach problems. For the first five days she did not have any stools, then she passes stools four times the day before yesterday, and few times yesterday. Probably she has severe amoebiasi...  Read Full »

Dr. Mian Shah Yousaf

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I reviewed your mother's history and investigation. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The history and low TLC (total leukocyte count) and low platelets on CBC (complete blood count) are suggestive of enteric fever. Kindly do the following things. It d...  Read Full »

Why did I get typhoid for the 12th time?

Query: Hi doctor, I am an MBBS student. My mother aged 47 years is suffering of typhoid which is a case of relapse and this is the 12th time. She is having a temperature nearby 102-103 degree Fahrenheit. Three years before, she was given Ceftriaxone IV 2 g twice (BD) and after that she was given Ampicillin...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. First, I would like to know how she was diagnosed with typhoid. Since you know that culture is the gold standard I would be interested in seeing a blood, stool, bone marrow or any sort of culture which was done to diagnose her with Salmonella typhi. If this is a cultu...  Read Full »

What is the normal titer value after typhoid?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 25 years old. I have a little long story of typhoid. In March, I tested positive for typhoid with widal test and the report shows TO - 1:80, TH - 1:40. My doctor prescribed me some antibiotics and I took them for eight days. I tested again and all titers were negative. I immedia...  Read Full »

Dr. Rohit Jain

Cardiologist, Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Pulmonologist, Sexologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Widal test is a vague test which has limitations. It is done only to get an idea of which type of organism might be present. If you see the report again, you will not find any value for a zero level, means the level of a normal person can also not be zero. Anything les...  Read Full »

How reliable is the tri-dot test?

Query: Hi doctor, I was suffering from extreme fatigue last month, so I got a Widal test, which was positive. I have had typhoid many times earlier, and two years back I got hepatitis. Last month I got LFT and CBC tests, and I am attaching the reports. LFT was normal, while CBC shows lymphopenia and macro...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I had seen the reports that you have attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity). In your CBC (complete blood count) reports, neutrophils are very high and lymphocytes count is low, which is suggestive of some acute infection in the body. Here, as the lymp...  Read Full »

Please tell me the kind of fever I have from the reports attached.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 55 year old female. I am a diabetic patient since last 10 years. I am taking Insulin, Panlipase, Shelcal, and Pantocid on regular basis. I had fever few days back and taking Calpol. The doctor suggested some tests. The reports are attached.  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. We are here to help you. I have reviewed your reports (attachments removed to protect patient identity). The urine report indicates that the sample is either contaminated or you have urinary tract infection. Now, the fever could be viral, dengue or due to urine infecti...  Read Full »

Is typhoid curable?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 29 year old male. I am suffering from fever for the last one week. Doctor told me that I am suffering with typhoid. He suggested me PECEF Duo 200, Penxo-D and Zall-XP. I have attached the reports. I have used these medicines for the last three days but still I have a temperature o...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your reports (attachments removed to protect patient identity) do show high titers of Salmonella typhi O and H antigen. The treatment offered with antibiotic, Cefpodoxime 200 mg twice a day, is to be taken ideally for 10 days along with Pen-D (Pantoprazole and Domperido...  Read Full »

After how many days of taking medication will typhoid get cured?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from typhoid from the last 10 days. Now, I have completed my seven days course. I want to ask when to report again that I am typhoid free. And I eat banana, wheat bread, milk, peanut butter, and do 30 minutes workout. Is it fine for after cardio and will this diet cause my...  Read Full »

Dr. C Elanchezhian

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You finished typhoid fever medicine course, but you see typhoid fever otherwise called enteric fever, so the main infection pathology is in our intestine wall gland. So intestine will be inflamed and weak so better take easily digestible food. Do not strain too much wit...  Read Full »

How to differentiate typhoid and jaundice from other fever?

Query: Hi doctor, I suffer from jaundice and typhoid. I have vomiting, high fever, rashes, drowsiness, and stomach pain. Whenever I consult the doctor, he gives me medicines. I do not understand, and I am confused whether he gives tablets for jaundice and typhoid or whether he provides tablets for cough, ...  Read Full »

Dr. Lohit Chauhan

Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all, jaundice is a symptom, and typhoid fever is a diagnosis. Jaundice is a state in the human body in which there is an increase in bilirubin (produced in the liver) level causing yellowish discoloration of sclera and skin. I am not sure whether you have typho...  Read Full »