Q. How can typhoid be cured?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 25, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My wife is 70 years old and was diagnosed with typhoid and was given Ceftas 200 TDS for 21 days and Argex 500 OD for seven days. The Widal test showed typhi O: 1:160, typhi H: 1:160, typhi AH: 1:80 and typhi BH: 1:40 after 10 days of treatment. The treatment was continued as above and after 2 to 4 days the temperature came down to 98.0 to 98.8. Now five days after completing the medicine course we again got her Widal test and results are the same as were in firsts test. Now, I would like to be advised how to treat her weakness and is there any treatment to kill the bacteria causing the fever and should we go for vaccine inoculation once more now.

#

I guess, she is not having a fever now. If fever has settled down then it means all bacterias are killed. These test may remain positive for some time or may be lifelong, so, not to chase the reports. Weakness will be there for few weeks. She should have a healthy diet and may have multivitamin supplements like syrup Zincovit two tablespoon once a day for two weeks for early recovery.

Vaccination is recommended to repeat every three to five years, so she may take another course of vaccine as she is getting typhoid frequently.

For more information consult a general medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

My wife's Hb is just 9.8 and could she start with some iron supplement if you so advise and any restriction of food items. Please advise.

#

Yes, certainly she should have iron supplements. She should have tablet Fericip XT (Ferrous ascorbate, Folic acid) twice a day after meals till Hb (hemoglobin) is 12 and once a day after that for next six months for replenishing the stores. Low hemoglobin also contributes to weakness.

|