Q. Is it normal to see blood collection at internal OS?

and medically reviewed by Dr. Dr. Divya Banu M
Published on May 20, 2019

I am 17 weeks pregnant. In my USG report a blood collection is found of 52 mm x 20 mm at internal os. I am very worried. What is to be done with the problem?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

How are you doing? After 12 weeks pregnancy, the risk of bleeding is low. Only a bleed from the margins of placenta is to be worried about. Cause of this collection could be:

1. Erosion and thereby minimal bleed from the raw surface of erosion. There may be mild discharge with or without some altered blood. You can have vaginal antifungal or antibiotics like Cansoft CL or Candid V or Clingen Forte once at night for 5 to 7 days.

2. If you have had sex recently. Above medications can be used.

3. I hope cervical length is greater than 2.5 cm and internal OS is closed. If not, you may need a cervical cerclage stitch.

To be on a safer side, you can have:

A. Injection Proluton depot 500 mg IM once in two weeks for 1 to 2 months.

B. Capsule Susten or Dubagest or Naturogest or Vagestone 200 mg twice daily vaginally for 1 to 2 months.

These both can be used simultaneously. They both are Progestrone hormone. They relax the uterus and if the blood has any chance to irritate the uterus, these two will stop it. So can prevent preterm labor pains. It is not easy to prevent pain once it starts, so better to use it before any risk factors. I do not think there is anything to worry, avoid any strenuous work, journey and sex.

Ultrasound showing mild hydrocephalus. Should I be concerned?

Query: Hi doctor, My present ultrasound is showing mild hydrocephalus with breech presentation (36 weeks) dilated 13 mm ventricle. No genetic disorder reported earlier done in second trimester. All the previous ultrasound showed normal and sound growth of fetus. Reports attached for your reference. Thank y...  Read Full »

Ectopic Pregnancy

Article Overview: In an ectopic pregnancy, the fertilized egg gets attached anywhere outside the uterus. Ectopic pregnancies are very common and occur in about 1 in every 50 pregnancies. It is a medical emergency and if left untreated, can also be fatal. Read Article

Dr. Sneha Kannan

What is an Ectopic Pregnancy? Fertilization of the ovum by sperm takes place in the fallopian tubes. After fertilization, the fertilized egg travels through the fallopian tube to the uterus. Normally, this embryo gets attached to the wall of the uterus and develops. In an ectopic pregnancy, the fer...  Read Article

Ultrasound showed blockage of urine due to enlarged prostate. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, My father is 67 years old. He is having mild psychiatric problem for the past 17 days. In the middle, around five days back the creatinine level increased from 1.1 to 5.6. So, an ultrasound was done and that showed blockage of urine due to enlarged prostate. But, urination was not comp...  Read Full »