Q. What are the risk factors of sexual intercourse with type 1 herpes patient?

Dr. Bharat Udey

I just recently started dating a man that informed me he has type 1 herpes. I want to know the risk factors and protective measures I can take if I choose to start a sexual relationship with him.

#

Type 1 herpes is a sexually transmitted virus. It spreads with contact with an infected person. It can lead to oro-genital infective lesions. To prevent it, avoid any kind of sexual contact with the infected person especially when the person is having active lesions. If you already had the contact, take precautionary prophylaxis of antiviral medications. Yes, you can have sexual contact with the person but there will be minimal chances of getting infected even if the partner is not running any active lesion. Condoms do not prevent the spread of infection in this case.

|