Q. What are the risk factors of sexual intercourse with type 1 herpes patient?

Dr. Bharat Udey
Published on Jan 12, 2019

I just recently started dating a man that informed me he has type 1 herpes. I want to know the risk factors and protective measures I can take if I choose to start a sexual relationship with him.

Dr. Bharat Udey

Geriatrics Psychiatry Sexology Sleep Medicine
#

Type 1 herpes is a sexually transmitted virus. It spreads with contact with an infected person. It can lead to oro-genital infective lesions. To prevent it, avoid any kind of sexual contact with the infected person especially when the person is having active lesions. If you already had the contact, take precautionary prophylaxis of antiviral medications. Yes, you can have sexual contact with the person but there will be minimal chances of getting infected even if the partner is not running any active lesion. Condoms do not prevent the spread of infection in this case.

| 

Why am I having sharp pain in my vagina when I pee?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 16 years old female. I urge to pee quite often. I have a sharp pain in my vagina when I pee. I have the urge to pee frequently. But when I go to the toilet, I do not have the urge to pee. Is this due to UTI or STD?  Read Full »

Kindly interpret test results taken after erotic massage.

Query: Hello doctor, Can you please interpret my test lab results? I only had an erotic massage a few weeks ago. I did these tests on my own just because of curiosity. The erotic massage was safe. No sex was involved. Just body to body touch. However, I am not sure what they mean.  Read Full »

I am having urine urgency after sexual intercourse. Please advice.

Query: Hi doctor, I am an 18-year-old female. I recently had sex that was a bit more rough than normal. Everything seems fine, I have not had cramping, and my IUD seems to still be in place, and the strings are still fine. The IUD is not poking out of my cervix, and, again, it does not hurt or cramp. Thoug...  Read Full »

Ask a Sexologist Now