Q. I had unprotected sex, and on Harmoni F for PCOS. Should I take an emergency contraceptive pill?

Dr. Reetika Joshi

I have been taking Harmoni F tablets as prescribed by my doctor for PCOS treatment. I have been taking medicine at the same time every day. I had unprotected sex (pull out method). I need to know that should I take an emergency contraceptive to avoid an unwanted pregnancy? Or will Harmoni F work as the contraception?

#

I fully understand your concern and will surely help you. Harmoni F does act as a birth control pill as well. Since you have been taking medicine regularly, so do not worry about the pregnancy risk. Moreover, you have adopted the pull-out method, so the risk is further less.

Also, just for your information, the sperms have to be ejaculated inside the vagina of the female for getting pregnant. These sperms then need to fertilize an egg, which then needs to be implanted in the female's uterus. Now you have used the pull out method, so probably sperms were not there.

Also, birth control pills prevent the release of eggs and make the conditions not suitable for fertilization and egg implantation. So do not worry, as you have used two methods.

I have heard that people also get pregnant with precum. In my case, do I need to worry about the precum related chances like what if the precum had sperms? After ejaculating five times, is it true that the number of sperms in the sixth ejaculation will be less? My partner urinated before getting intimate.

#

Yes, you are right. Certain studies do give out that precum causes pregnancy, but they are very rare cases. So you need not worry.

Such cases occur on some rare conditions that the female was highly fertile and was in her fertility window. In your case, you need not worry as you are on birth control pills. Yes, the motility percentage of sperms in the sixth ejaculate is reduced than the earlier ejaculates.

Urination would have cleared any precum or remains of previous ejaculates, so even less chances for you.

|