Q. How can I stop the symptoms of bloating stomach and loose stools in IBS?

Dr. Klerida Shehu

I am 51 years old with a complaint of bloating, loose stools, burning sensation in the abdomen 15 years back. I managed two years without medicine. I was advised to use Rabeprazole to which my symptoms subsided a little bit. From then I cannot tolerate spicy foods, fruits, caffeinated drinks, and curd. If I take these foods my stomach starts bloating with loose stools, burning sensation in the abdomen. At times, I get pains in the hands and feet, burning sensation and pain in the back of the head and breathlessness. These symptoms subside by passing flatus and belching and on using medication.

I was evaluated and diagnosed as a case of IBS. I am uploading my complete details. Please find attachment.

#

I reviewed all your medical reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and I can say as follows:

First of all, you need to be examined with upper endoscopy and colonoscopy plus abdominal ultrasound.

Your symptoms may be related with Gerd and hiatal hernia or gastritis, stomach ulcer.

In the meantime, I would suggest using PPI's (proton pump inhibitors) and antacid to improve your symptoms. After completing the exams mentioned above I will give you a more accurate opinion regarding your possible diagnosis.

Endoscopy and USG abdomen have already been done. Colonoscopy has not been done.

#

I read carefully all your concerns and I can say that you have had only erythematous gastritis and fatty liver. With regards to gastritis, PPI treatment should be used at least eight weeks.

Your symptoms may be explained by gastritis. Fecal test for helicobacter pylori should be done. It is really important to do colonoscopy to rule out large bowel problems. With regards to fatty liver, you need to lose weight and increase physical activity.

|