Q. How can fever and a continuous dry cough be treated in a kid?

Dr. Simy Mathew
Published on Dec 17, 2017 and last reviewed on: May 14, 2019

My son is having a fever for the last five days and has dipped slowly from 102.5 F to 100.4 F in five days. The fever is backed up by a cough also. For the last 36 hours, he is having a continuous dry cough for which our physician suggested Levolin syrup 2.5 mL thrice a day. Please opine. He is also on Crocin Suspension DS and RespiCare and Bresol. He has also taken these in the past. Please help.

Dr. Simy Mathew

Paediatrics
#

Your child is having viral upper respiratory tract infection.

His fever will subside in another two days. Viral fevers last for five to seven days.

A cough will remain for a few days. I suggest instead of giving syrup Levolin (Levosalbutamol/Levalbuterol), nebulize him with 1.2 mg of Levolin every six hours.

This is a much lower dose than syrup and acts on lungs directly.

Apart from this, use syrup Benadryl (Syrup Diphenhydramine, Ammonium Chloride, Sodium Citrate) 5 mL thrice daily.

Make him drink warm water, give him lozenges, and one teaspoon of honey in the morning and evening. This will take care of his problems.

For more information consult a child health specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/child-health-specialist

In spite of using inhaler often, I have heavy congestion. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been to doctor three times in the last two months and was prescribed many medications. But, I am simply not getting any better. Initially, I went in for respiratory issues. I had a terrible hacking cough and was literally using my Ventolin Inhaler more than I should. As I am ast...  Read Full »

My symptoms include dry cough, headache, body pain and nausea. Please help me.

Query: Hi doctor,The problem started out with a dry cough. The next day, I had achy bones and headache. It seemed like it was going away and came back the day after when I woke up feeling like throwing up. My eyes, chest and upper back aches with a feeling of nausea. Please help me. I am scared.  Read Full »

What causes fever and blocked ears with cough?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a fever with a cough. I have blocked ear. What can I do?  Read Full »

Ask a Child Health Specialist Now