Q. Will BP tablets cause high uric acid level?

Dr. Mashfika N Alam

I am 35 years old. Height 166 cm, weight 76 kg. My uric acid level has come to 8.9. I did this checkup one year before and it was 8.4. At that time I had stopped eating all pulses for at least one month. I am pure vegetarian. I do not have any symptom of gout or any other stuff. I do have hypertension for which I take daily tablet Metpure XL 12.5 mg. Being pure vegetarian, I feel uric acid is very high. Has this to do anything with my BP tablet? Do I need to do any extra test regarding kidney or anything? What all vegetarian food do I need to avoid?

#

You seem to have high uric acid levels but asymptomatic hyperuricemia does not need treatment. You may have a family history of hyperuricemia which explains why you have it despite being a vegan. Also, being obese or losing too much weight can increase blood uric acid levels. Your blood pressure medication is not causing this unless you are taking Thiazide diuretics. Please keep an eye on your uric acid levels and serum creatinine to check renal function. You may want to check your thyroid hormones as well as hypothyroidism can also cause hyperuricemia. Please do the following investigation and keep us posted on the results.

Serum creatinine, thyroid function tests.

|