Q. My 11-year-old daughter is unable to control the urge to urinate. What to do?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

My 11-year-old daughter has been unable to tell when she has to urinate until she starts to urinate. Before, she was able to stop and run to the bathroom. However, in the past couple of weeks, she has been unable to stop herself and keeps urinating. Her mother and I just found it out this evening, since she can not hide the small anymore.

#

Please get the child evaluated physically for urinary incontinence. A USG (ultrasound) abdomen may be required along with urine routine and microscopy. If all reports are normal, fluid intake and urine output dairy may need to be maintained to see what can be altered without using medications. Desmopressin may need to be started on SOS basis. Imipramine also can be started by a pediatrician after a detailed evaluation.

How do you feel the Imipramine could help?

#

Imipramine will help to control anxiety issues (if present) and hence help prevent enuresis. However, she has to be evaluated physically by a pediatrician to search for any other anomalies/defects. Investigations, as advised above, may also need to be done and after the diary is maintained, and if the necessary modifications fail, we can eventually start Imipramine. Hence a long way to go.

|