Q. My 11-year-old daughter is unable to control the urge to urinate. What to do?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
Published on Nov 14, 2019

My 11-year-old daughter has been unable to tell when she has to urinate until she starts to urinate. Before, she was able to stop and run to the bathroom. However, in the past couple of weeks, she has been unable to stop herself and keeps urinating. Her mother and I just found it out this evening, since she can not hide the small anymore.

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Paediatrics
#

Please get the child evaluated physically for urinary incontinence. A USG (ultrasound) abdomen may be required along with urine routine and microscopy. If all reports are normal, fluid intake and urine output dairy may need to be maintained to see what can be altered without using medications. Desmopressin may need to be started on SOS basis. Imipramine also can be started by a pediatrician after a detailed evaluation.

How do you feel the Imipramine could help?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Paediatrics
#

Imipramine will help to control anxiety issues (if present) and hence help prevent enuresis. However, she has to be evaluated physically by a pediatrician to search for any other anomalies/defects. Investigations, as advised above, may also need to be done and after the diary is maintained, and if the necessary modifications fail, we can eventually start Imipramine. Hence a long way to go.

How long does spinal self fusion take?

Query: Hi doctor, I have constant low back pain. The pain is radiating from the lower back to the buttocks and both legs. There is a tingling sensation after exercise and walking. Before five years, I had a bad episode of back pain with sciatica. I was told that it was a slipped disc but did not get a sca...  Read Full »

How to confirm H.pylori infection?

Query: Hi doctor, Two months ago, I had diarrhea and vomiting. My gastroenterologist diagnosed it as GERD and found H.pylori unit 112 tested through blood. My LFT, CBC, RBC were fine with occasional white cells in my urine and uric acid was 6. I took Klaricid 500, Ospamox 1 g, Levopraid, Omeprazole and Lib...  Read Full »