Q. I have urinary incontinence, pain and swelling in groin lymph nodes. Kindly help.

Dr. Shahil Khant

I am 34 years old male. I started having incontinence problems about 4 to 6 months ago (cause unknown). It began with issues only happening at night while sleeping. A month ago it had progressed to occasionally not even being able to make it to the bathroom before I began to pee. Then, about four weeks or so ago, while having sex with my girlfriend, I ended up with a fairly large cut or tear right underneath the head of the penis. It has happened before.

About 2 to 3 weeks ago I somehow ended up with a UTI and yeast infection. For whatever reason, I have not taken it seriously (major depression) and two nights ago I started having pain (then ended up realizing these were little white ulcers that have since begun to spread rapidly). They are under the head of the penis, on my scrotum, and also on the shaft of my penis. Along with that, last night I realized the lymph node in my right groin was significantly swollen and painful as well. Today that became my lymph node in both my right and now my left groin as well.)

Finally, when I woke up today I had a huge swollen ring of skin, underneath the head of my penis, along with everything else. I have had this same swollen ring one time before in my life. It is seriously swollen and more ulcers are on that skin as well. I did a bit of looking at pictures online and I found a condition that is very similar looking (as far as the swollen ring goes,) called paraphimosis. However, I have been circumcised since I was a baby. So I am not thinking that is it. Anyway, I am in fairly severe pain and I am worried about the lymph nodes in my groin (left and right) being swollen, that there is some bad infection spreading in my blood throughout my body. I guess I could be simply paranoid but I went from ignoring this to now freaking out. So I do not believe that this is the case. Please help. Any ideas or thoughts or suggestions? Currently, I am on Xanax, Adderall, Prozac, Abilify, Cymbalta, Suboxone, and Atenolol.

Dr. Shahil Khant

Andrology General Surgery Urology
#

Relax and do not worry. I have some questions for you as follows:

1. At present do you have any incontinence?
  2. Was it protected or unprotected sex?
  3. Are ulcers at the site of the cut or in your penis?

If possible send me more broad view images of ulcers and penis and of lymph nodes if are visible. I think you are suffering from STD (sexually transmitted disease) due to chancroid or lymphogranuloma venereum. You require STD screening test to properly diagnose the type of infection (STD) you are suffering from. If you do not want the test, then I would suggest you start empirical treatment as follows, but with your doctor's consent:

1. Tablet Azithromycin 1 gm orally only a single dose.
  2. Tablet Doxycycline 100 mg morning and evening for 21 days.

The above drugs will cover the majority of STD infections.

For more information consult a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

| 

Thanks for helping me. Here are the answers to your questions. Yes, I have been having a lot of incontinence problems. I had unprotected, oral sex only. There are no ulcers at the site of the original cut. Just a couple on the skin of the penis, one on the scrotum, and one at the base of the penis. My lymph nodes are not visible. They are just swollen and a bit sensitive.

Dr. Shahil Khant

Andrology General Surgery Urology
#

I have seen images sent by you (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Yes, there is a swollen skin like paraphimosis but since you are circumcised it cannot be paraphimosis. It may be because of infection. As you had unprotected oral sex there are high chances of having STD. As I suggested you can have STD panel test or start antibiotics. If your symptoms do not improve consult urologist so that he can examine you physically.

| 

Why do I have pain in the groin on erection?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 32 year old healthy male. After defecation, I have secretion of seminal fluid, which is followed by pain in the penis. On erection, I have slight pain in the groin.  Read Full »

What is the rationale behind lymph node enlargement in my baby?

Query: Hello doctor, My 2-year 8-month-old son has a single lymph node enlargement which is movable around 1.5 cm. There are no other signs or symptoms. There is no sign of any infections. Should I be worried?  Read Full »

What can cause lymph node enlargement in the neck?

Query: Hi doctor,I would like to seek your help on higher lymphocyte count. I am taking antibiotics after my doctor noticed enlarged lymph nodes on my neck and edge of my ears. I am under medication to check whether this infection is due to some throat issues or not. But, my ESR count remains same after a...  Read Full »