Q. MRI shows 'intermediate signal intensity lesion in endometrial cavity. ' What is it?

Dr. Jimesh H Mavani
Published on Feb 26, 2018

My mother aged 55 years got an MRI with an observation of 'intermediate signal intensity lesion noted in the endometrial cavity measuring 19x28x24, in the fundal body region with loss of endometrial interface. Tethering of sigmoid colon with distal ileal loops to the uterus in fundus region.'

Dr. Jimesh H Mavani

General Practitioner Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

With this report, there is a possibility of malignancy. Cancer of the uterus is more likely.

Do CA 125 level, CT scan abdomen and pelvis, X-ray, sonography, PET scan and consult a gynecologist near you and also take an opinion from an oncosurgeon.

Doctors will do other routine investigations also like LFT, RFT, hemogram, HIV, Au-Ag, blood group, 2D echo, ECG. All this is to be done and consultation along with clinical examination required for deciding further management of this if to directly go for surgery or not. In that case, the best option is chemotherapy or radiotherapy. But yes, you need to take steps on an urgent basis if the MRI report is like this and you suspect malignancy with some changes.

I do not want to over exaggerate this but malignancy can grow way faster than you imagine. The final diagnosis will be after sending for biopsy or HPE (histopathological examination).

I do not know why you have done the MRI and what complaints she has, but whatever it is, if this is what the report says, then the above things should be done as soon as possible.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

I had unusual spotting with NuvaRing. Please advise.

Query: Hi doctor, Last month, I had an unusual spotting during the time I was using Nuvaring. That never happened before. So, I decided to take the ring off, but during that time, it was menstruation. I never had a normal flux, just spotting all the time. At first, kind of brown and after, redder and then...  Read Full »

Is it normal to have a neck dissection just by suspicion of malignancy?

Query: Hi doctor, I have 4 enlarged cervical lymph nodes in my neck. Two are cystic and have calcification inside. There are also 3 small nodules on my thyroid. Two are about 2 mm and one is 6 mm. All blood and thyroid tests came back normal. Full body PET-CT showed no abnormal activity in thyroid or lymph...  Read Full »

D and C (Dilation and Curettage)

Article Overview: Dilation and curettage, or otherwise called D and C, is a minor surgical procedure where the cervix is widened (dilation) and the tissue lining the uterus is scraped or suctioned out (curettage). This procedure is usually done to treat conditions like heavy menstrual bleeding or to remove tissues left in the womb after a miscarriage.  Read Article

Dr. Sneha Kannan

Dilation and Curettage (D & C) Overview Dilation and curettage, or otherwise called D and C, is a minor surgical procedure where the cervix is widened (dilation) and the tissue lining the uterus is scraped or suctioned out (curettage). This procedure is usually done to treat conditions like hea...  Read Article