Q. Through histopathology, can we get 100% accurate diagnosis?

This is a premium question & answer published on May 10, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 11, 2021

I have a few doubts regarding the pathology reports. Please clarify. It seems like advances in pathology is increasing diagnostic confidence. Can alcoholic liver disease biopsy result ever be 100% accurate by itself? Labeling something as "consistent with" could be a real problem for all involved if the patient insists on social drinking history only. Would use of chemotherapy for breast cancer and hyperlipidemia prohibit a 100% definitive ALD diagnosis?

#

• Histopathology examination by biopsy is the most confirmatory method for many pathological conditions.
  • Hyperlipidemia can lead fatty liver condition, which can be because of alcohol as well. From histopathology examination, it can be surely said that whether it is an infective condition or malignancy.
  • Alcoholic liver disease includes steatosis (fatty liver), hepatitis, cirrhosis, and in final stage cancer as well. So, it is better to give diagnosis mentioned above format and not a just alcoholic liver disease according to my opinion.
  • Final diagnosis in an ideal way always made with clinical correlation. Hence, findings consistent with is usually written in the report, and clinical correlation advises given.

For further doubts consult a pathologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pathologist

|