Q. What can be done for dark patches after using Utramedanine?

Dr. Vinay Kumar

I have vitiligo. I used for my patches Utramedanine solution with sun and I think I used to much because it burned. Now, I have dark patches like brown. Will it go away?

#

I have noted your description and analyzed the situation at hand. The medicine being used by you is photo-sensitizing agent which means that it needs to be applied and then the treated area has to be exposed to ultraviolet rays for a controlled duration, preferably using a timer. Unfortunately, you exceeded that limit. The problem that you are facing is a common complaint in many patients. It is called photosensitive reaction.

The good part is that the problem usually takes care of itself especially if you do not allow it to occur repeatedly. In your case, what has happened is that the skin has got an overdose of medication and is responding by producing inflammation and more pigment than desired at fast speed. If you leave it in this position, even then it is likely to heal but some patients need weak steroidal creams like Hydrocortisone to hasten the process of recovery. In case of itching, one may use anti-allergic.

Please protect the area from further sun exposure for some day. Give a rest of a week or so and then restart the same treatment but with smaller dose of application and least possible sun exposure which can be tolerated by your skin. Please be extra-cautious about following instructions for such medications in future. You are highly likely to get good results with these measures. In case of any concern revert to me for further management.

|