Q. I have uveitis with redness and increased IOP. Kindly help.

Dr. Asha Barboza

I am suffering from uveitis for the past 1.3 years.

I have done:

1) TB and TB Gold.

2) HLA B27.

3) HLA B51.

4) Antinuclear antibodies.

5) Anti-CCP antibodies.

All are negative. When I stop my steroid eye drops, my eye becomes red and my IOP increases to 45+.

Doctor's prescription, observation, blood test and eye test reports are attached. If any blood test required, then kindly suggest.

#

I have gone through your blood reports and other documents (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Sorry to hear about the chronicity of your eye problem. Most of the extra blood tests have already been done like ANA, HLA B27, etc. It is possible that you may have had herpes simplex uveitis that has led to the complications of secondary glaucoma. It is an immunological reaction rather than an actual virus infection. You can confirm herpes simplex possibility by doing an Igg test for HSV 1 and 2. A decade or so ago there used to be an extensive blood test called an IgG lymphadenopathy blood panel that tests about 25 or so unusual infections including HSV, CMV etc. You can perhaps look for that in your city. Meanwhile, please continue the steroids and anti glaucoma medications.

I went through your reports again. Have you done ACE (angiotensin-converting enzyme) and lysozyme tests to rule out sarcoidosis? Tests include a chest x-ray. If you have any other systemic symptoms like cough, urinary symptoms, joint pains, loose motion, or skin lesions, let me know.

As per your instruction, I have tested Torch IgG and IgM antibody test and hepatitis B and HIV 1 and 2 antibody tests. The report is attached for your kind perusal. In which cytomegalovirus (CMV) IgG and rubella IgG is positive. However, no other symptoms are present. Kindly suggest further course of action . Should I start DMARDS immunosuppressant durgs?

#

The results are not very significant (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The choice of immunosuppressants will have to be made by an immunologist or rheumatologist as basic blood work has to be done. If they put you on an immunosuppressant, you may be prone to infections and other side effects. In your case, since the complications are glaucoma which is sight threatening, a trial of immunosuppressants is better. I presume the previous ophthalmologist has ruled out steroid-induced glaucoma? If so, you can try oral Prednisolone before that. If you do not want to visit a hospital to meet one, I suggest you find one on icliniq. Just make sure they are DM immunologist or rheumatologist.

|