Q. My intraocular pressure is getting high in the last six years. Why?

Dr. Souhad

Over the past six years or so, my intraocular pressure (both eyes) has risen to 16, to 19, and now to 21. Will it continue to increase still? Kindly help.

Dr. Souhad

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

As you might have been informed, increased eye pressure is mainly associated with the disease called glaucoma. This chronic symptomless disease is very drastic to the optic nerve and might lead to irreversible damage, and in the end, cause blindness.

However, this eye disease is never diagnosed or established based on eye pressure measurements and requires a detailed and comprehensive examination including many diagnostic tests like, visual fields, gonioscopy, OCT (optical coherence tomography), multiple measurements of eye pressure during at least three consecutive days and these tests might be repeated twice and even thrice in the first year and then every six months if the only suspicion remains.

If you have not undergone these tests, please do, and if you require a second opinion, please upload the results of all these tests and I will gladly provide you with my opinion.

|