Q. My intraocular pressure is getting high in the last six years. Why?

Dr. Souhad
and medically reviewed by Nithila A
Published on Jun 24, 2019

Over the past six years or so, my intraocular pressure (both eyes) has risen to 16, to 19, and now to 21. Will it continue to increase still? Kindly help.

Dr. Souhad

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

As you might have been informed, increased eye pressure is mainly associated with the disease called glaucoma. This chronic symptomless disease is very drastic to the optic nerve and might lead to irreversible damage, and in the end, cause blindness.

However, this eye disease is never diagnosed or established based on eye pressure measurements and requires a detailed and comprehensive examination including many diagnostic tests like, visual fields, gonioscopy, OCT (optical coherence tomography), multiple measurements of eye pressure during at least three consecutive days and these tests might be repeated twice and even thrice in the first year and then every six months if the only suspicion remains.

If you have not undergone these tests, please do, and if you require a second opinion, please upload the results of all these tests and I will gladly provide you with my opinion.

Glaucoma - an Overview of Causes, Types and Treatment

Article Overview: Most people know glaucoma as a disease associated with high intraocular pressure that is pressure in the eye. I have explained in detail about glaucoma, its causes, types, symptoms, investigations and treatment in detail in this article. Read Article

Dr. David J Mathew
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Glaucoma is an optic neuropathy, which is a disease of the optic nerve that generally progresses over time. The optic nerve connects the eye to the brain. The optic nerve damage due to glaucoma is evident in the optic nerve head, the place where the optic nerve is connected to the back of the eye. D...  Read Article

Can glaucoma and cataract be operated at the same time?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother, who is aged 57, had eye pain recently. We consulted a doctor and got to know that my mom has glaucoma. Also, they mentioned that it is in the advanced stage and severe of around 90%. From another couple of tests, they found that my mother needs cataract surgery along with gl...  Read Full »