Q. My eyes are red, watery, and itchy. Please help me.

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

My eyes are red, watery, and itchy. I have a feeling I have sand in my eyes. The most irritated area are the tear ducts. Please, help me. I am just using red eye relief but it does not help.

#

Do you by any chance have a feeling that when you blink, you feel a pricking or pressure sensation on the inner side of your right eye? Do you also do a lot of outdoor activities like hiking or do you go out in the sun a lot?

From the photos you have sent me (attachment removed to protect patient identity), I feel like you have developed a condition called inflamed pinguecula. This condition will need steroid eyedrops for relief, although they are not available over the counter. Pingueculas are benign nodules that grow in the conjunctiva of active people who are out in the sun a lot, also people who are exposed to a lot of wind and dust.

So, preventive measures you can take immediately are as follows.

1. Continue red eye relief drops. Even if they will not cure your condition, they will lessen the irritation and pricking sensation. If nothing at all, they will not be worsening it.
  2. Use over the counter tear substitutes like Carboxymethylcellulose acetate eyedrops 0.5 to 1.0 % (Refresh tears/ Refresh liquigel). These will provide relief to a certain extent.
  3. You can also use oral painkillers if necessary.
  4. Avoid exposure to sunlight, dust, and wind.
  5. Use shades while leaving home, and biker goggles while you drive.
  6. See an ophthalmologist if the pain does not come down with the above measures, blurring of vision starts, or redness increases.

Hope you get well soon.

For more information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

|