Q. Have been getting recurrent redness in the eyes. What will be the reason ?

Dr. Shikha
This is a premium question & answer published on May 10, 2018 and last reviewed on: Nov 24, 2022

For about four years now, I have been getting recurrent redness in the eyes. It starts in one eye at this time of every year. There is no discharge, but stay as a painful red eye. It will go away for a week and then recur for a couple of days before clearing up again. It usually last on and off for a month or so before going away. This is the beginning of dry weather in my place. Also, now we begin using our wood stove for heat. I do have on and off rosacea. I have tried many eye drops, but they do not seem to work.

Please help.

#

• It may be uveitis or glaucoma or just conjunctivitis.
  • Is there any family history of glaucoma? Is there any joint pain or what all systemic illness you have?
  • During the episode, do you encounter any drop in vision?

Kindly revert with the answers.

I do not have a family history of glaucoma. Would conjunctivitis recur like this without any discharge? My vision does not change. I do not have joint pain. The only systemic illness I have is IBS (irritable bowel syndrome).

#

• Yes, IBS can also cause recurrent uveitis. It will not be conjunctivitis.
  • The mainstay of treatment is control of disease. For present acute condition of uveitis, you will have to use steroid eye drops.

|