Q. Have been getting recurrent redness in the eyes. What will be the reason ?

Dr. Shikha

For about four years now, I have been getting recurrent redness in the eyes. It starts in one eye at this time of every year. There is no discharge, but stay as a painful red eye. It will go away for a week and then recur for a couple of days before clearing up again. It usually last on and off for a month or so before going away. This is the beginning of dry weather in my place. Also, now we begin using our wood stove for heat. I do have on and off rosacea. I have tried many eye drops, but they do not seem to work.

#

• It may be uveitis or glaucoma or just conjunctivitis.
  • Is there any family history of glaucoma? Is there any joint pain or what all systemic illness you have?
  • During the episode, do you encounter any drop in vision?

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

I do not have a family history of glaucoma. Would conjunctivitis recur like this without any discharge? My vision does not change. I do not have joint pain. The only systemic illness I have is IBS (irritable bowel syndrome).

#

• Yes, IBS can also cause recurrent uveitis. It will not be conjunctivitis.
  • The mainstay of treatment is control of disease. For present acute condition of uveitis, you will have to use steroid eye drops.

For further information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

|