Q. I have cervicitis after having Nuvaring for seven years. Is this normal?

Dr. Uzma Arqam
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 06, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 25 year old female who took Nuvaring continuously for seven years. After my yearly appointment last year, I had excessive bleeding and irritation of my cervix upon examination. I was told I had chronic cervicitis and an overgrowth of tissue on my cervix which would need to be removed by surgery. Since then, I have not been the same. My period is not regular and sex not as enjoyable as it used to be. Is this normal?

#

Nuvaring is a hormone-releasing contraceptive ring placed in the vagina. As it is hormone based, it causes side effects like menstrual irregularities, decrease in libido, vaginal itching, infection, headache, bloating, weight and appetite changes, abnormal hair growth, skin darkening, bloating, changes in appetite and weight, etc.

So, all the symptoms you described are side effects of your long-term use of the same method of hormonal contraceptive.

My advice would be to try to avoid using the same mode and same hormonal contraceptive for years. Try to have one that suits your body and would have the least side effects.

For cervical growth, undergo colposcopy.

Repeat Pap smear if it has been more than three years.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|