Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. What is the skin tag connecting via side of my vulva skin?

Answered by
Dr. Uzma Arqam
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 20, 2018

Hello doctor,

I am 22 years old and I have two children. No health issues. Around four months ago, I had sharp stabbing pains in my pelvic area, foul odor discharge, irregular bleeding, yellow or brown vaginal discharge. I am in my second year of being on the contraception implant Nexplanon. Due to my age, the local doctor could not help and said I needed to go to a sexual health clinic so I did. They said I had BV (bacterial vaginosis) and gave me antibiotics. I still have bad smelly discharge even four months later. But my main concern is I was going to the toilet and as I wiped I felt a lump in the middle of my vulva. I asked my husband to have a look he said it looks like a skin tag. It is connected via the side of my vulva skin and around that area is different shades of color and it slightly hangs.

Dr. Uzma Arqam

Obstetrics And Gynaecology


Welcome to

Do you have any other medical health issue or have been on medications? It is better to have a complete check and treatment if any health issue you have. Regarding discharge, it should be checked in the laboratory by sending a high vaginal swab to check which organism is causing smell and irritation. So, for vaginal discharge, you should have a high vaginal swab and its report needs to be checked here or with a local gynecologist doctor or even you can discuss with infectious control to get specific treatment, if needed.

After collection of the swab, have tablet Metronidazole 400 mg eight hourly and tablet Doxycycline 100 mg 12 hourly for 14 days. After swab result, it might be possible that you need specific treatment as well or need to investigate and treat your partner as well. For lump at the vulva, it would be better if you would send me a picture of the issue. If it is lump hanging or coming out or seems to move out at coughing, the pressure or at abdominal stress, then it could be prolapse like cystocele, at rectum rectocele or urethrocele might be due to tissue weakness or increased intraabdominal pressure or difficult delivery. The skin over it could be different due to local friction even could be inflamed and bleed as well. If just small skin tags are hanging, those could be warts that is the infection actually. Any local cyst or abscess could be likely related to Bartholin gland that also needs to be treated. It is better to have one local examination at the time of collection of swab by the gynecologist. The skin tags or skin scrapping could be sent if it is wart like thing to confirm causative organism. In case of lump that could be cystocele, rectocele or urethrocele, and needs to be graded as in some cases, it needs exercises, vaginal pessary or even more advancd surgery.

Have a strict hygiene. Wear soft comfortable undergarments. Use condoms to prevent transmission of sexually transmitted infection. Sitz bath can be tried. Avoid local cosmetics. Use a soft blade to clean hair.

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
I am having itching in clitoris and inflamed lips on labia. Is it an STD?
What is causing sharp pain in vagina after urinating?
My vagina is always itchy after a period. What should I do?

This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Can naked body to body massage spread HIV?
Hello doctor, I recently had some business trip during which I had some naked body to body massage wherein massager vag...  Read more»
Are COVID-19 Patients Infectious for up to 90 Days After Recovery?
There have been reports of recovered COVID-19 patients getting reinfected and testing positive for almost 3 months. Read...  Read more»
Crohn's Disease
Crohn's disease causes inflammation of the digestive tract, which results in symptoms like severe diarrhea, stomach pain...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Obstetrician & Gynaecologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.