Q. Is it possible for E-coli to cause infertility?

Dr. Ashwini Nanasaheb Talpe
Published on Dec 18, 2018

I (34) and my wife (30) have been trying to conceive for about 15 months. Due to a slightly low AMH for her age (16 pmol) my wife was recommended to go straight to IVF from our fertility clinic. With all of the above, no issues were found and we are diagnosed with unexplained. My wife went for vaginal swab testing in preparation for the IVF where although no major STDs were found they discovered a large amount of E.Coli bacteria colonized within the reproductive tract (presumably vagina and cervix). There was a small number of leukocytes found too. The doctor wrote a prescription for antibiotics which he said should clear it out.

Our concern now is, could the E-coli be the reason for infertility? My wife has not taken antibiotics for a long time and we are presuming that she could have had the bacteria there for a long time. I have read that E-coli does pretty much clump sperm together and stop them from moving. Do you have any advice on the matter?

Dr. Ashwini Nanasaheb Talpe

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Since the vaginal swab shows E-coli (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it would be better to undergo a course of antibiotics for you and your wife in order to improve chances of IVF. If you wish you can request your doctor to go for IUI if both fallopian tubes are patent.

| 

Thank you for your reply. We did carry out a course of antibiotics. So from your experience, E-Coli does affect fertility when it is located in the female reproductive tract?

Dr. Ashwini Nanasaheb Talpe

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Yes, infection of E-coli can damage the cilia of fallopian tube which will hamper passage of sperm and catching of egg.

| 

Can varicocele cause infertility?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 23 year old male. I was diagnosed to have grade 1 varicocele. I attached USG report. Can varicocele cause infertility? From the report, kindly let me know my testicle size. Is my testicle size normal? Recently, I have been putting weight, especially my lower body increases more tha...  Read Full »

Why am I having IVF failure even though there are good stimulation and embryo production?

Query: Hello doctor, Repeated IVF failure. I would just like an independent opinion, I am 34 years old and already had four failed IVF's. Not once was there a positive pregnancy test. I am healthy, gave birth to a healthy baby boy eight years back with my first husband who sadly passed on a few years ago....  Read Full »

In Vitro Fertilization (IVF)

Article Overview: In vitro fertilization (IVF) is a type of Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART), which is used to treat infertility. In IVF, mature eggs are retrieved from the ovaries, and these eggs are fertilized by sperms in a lab to form embryos. The embryos are then implanted in the uterus.  Read Article

Dr. Sneha Kannan
Infertility Specialist

Overview of IVF In vitro fertilization (IVF) is a type of Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART), which is used to treat infertility. In IVF, mature eggs are retrieved from the ovaries, and these eggs are fertilized by sperms in a lab to form embryos. The embryos are then implanted in the uterus. T...  Read Article

Ask an Infertility Specialist Now