Q. Is it possible for E-coli to cause infertility?

Answered by Dr. Ashwini Nanasaheb Talpe and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Infertility or Ivf? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I (34) and my wife (30) have been trying to conceive for about 15 months. Due to a slightly low AMH for her age (16 pmol) my wife was recommended to go straight to IVF from our fertility clinic. With all of the above, no issues were found and we are diagnosed with unexplained. My wife went for vaginal swab testing in preparation for the IVF where although no major STDs were found they discovered a large amount of E.Coli bacteria colonized within the reproductive tract (presumably vagina and cervix). There was a small number of leukocytes found too. The doctor wrote a prescription for antibiotics which he said should clear it out.

Our concern now is, could the E-coli be the reason for infertility? My wife has not taken antibiotics for a long time and we are presuming that she could have had the bacteria there for a long time. I have read that E-coli does pretty much clump sperm together and stop them from moving. Do you have any advice on the matter?