Q. Can chronic constipation and absence of hunger result in varicose veins?

This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 23, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 10, 2020

My mother is getting varicose veins. It has just started. I just noticed these bulging veins today. I suspect the reason is chronic constipation and absence of hunger. Chronic pathogenic infection of GI tract may also be there. Flatulence and low energy levels are also present. What to do?

#

• These are indeed varicose veins (attachment removed to protect patient identity); we usually treat them when they cause pain, swelling or ulcers and getting infected. In that situation surgery is usually recommended depending upon how bad they have been.
  • For your mother; I would suggest wearing compression stockings, elevation of her legs and exercise. They may be due to venous insufficiency and doing a venous ultrasound would be very helpful.
  • Her stomach issues may not be related to her varicosities.
  • In patients with lower abdominal or pelvic issues, they have huge vein distension and swelling. I doubt that it is in your mother's situation. Thank you.

Revert back after the ultrasound to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|