Q. Why is my wound not getting cured?

Answered by
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 17, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Hi doctor,

I am 43 years old. I am suffering from a wound placed on the opposite side of ankle. I am unable to walk with the pain. I have been suffering with this for the last three months. I previously used Pividine microbicidal sprinkling powder and Zenflox 200. Please help.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

  • You have what looks like a dry necrotic ulcer affecting the lateral malleolus of your ankle (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I suspect this is likely to be due to venous insufficiency and given its distribution.
  • This is where the valves, which normally encourage blood to flow the correct way from the superficial veins in the leg to the deep veins, have been damaged, causing backflow and venous stasis or sluggish flow in the leg veins.
  • It is often associated with swelling of the legs and varicose veins or prominent, tortuous and tender veins with dark discoloration of the skin. Do you have any of these other symptoms?
  • Symptoms are usually made worse by prolonged periods of standing still or sitting. Swelling and discomfort may improve with walking and leg elevation.
  • Another possible cause is arterial insufficiency in which the blood supply to the leg is impaired due to narrowing of the arteries. This is often associated with diabetes, high blood pressure, smoking and other diseases such as heart disease, stroke or kidney problems or a family history.
  • If the ulcer is not getting better with your current treatment methods, then you need a diagnosis to provide a cause. This is best achieved with a simple ultrasound duplex assessment of the veins in the leg to demonstrate if there is any abnormal blood flow direction.
  • From the location of the ulcer it may be the short saphenous venous system is impaired.
  • Treatment of ulcers due to venous insufficiency starts with three layer compression bandaging and elevation of the leg to prevent pooling of blood.
  • It may be necessary to have an operation to either block the superficial veins or to remove them completely. You will need to see a vascular surgeon to have this investigated.
  • Other possible causes that would need to be considered include chronic infection and so, a swab of any discharging area would need to be performed in order to try to identify any infectious organisms.
  • Also, an abnormal growth such as a tumor or cancerous growth would need to be considered and so a biopsy (taking a small area of the ulcer edge to view under a microscope) would need to be considered.
  • In summary, if things have not improved after three months, you need to see a vascular specialist and possibly a skin specialist or dermatologist to have the tests to know the underlying cause so that it can be treated effectively. I hope this helps.

For further information consult a general surgeon online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-surgeon

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
Please suggest me an antibiotic to get rid of cellulitis.

If possible get venous Doppler of leg to rule out DVT (deep vein thrombosis) ... Also get an ultrasound of the abdomen to rule out inguinal lymphadenopathy ...   Read full

What are these small red itchy bumps around my groin?

.. more information on your problem. Since how long do you have this problem? Is there any skin discoloration seen? Kindly let me know above details. Also, if possible kindly upload a picture of inner thigh region. Revert back with the asked details...   Read full

What are the causes of swollen ankles and legs?

.. feet and ankle is known as pedal edema. Edema occurs due to the accumulation of fluid in the tissues. There are many causes of edema. One is congestive cardiac failure or right heart disease. As this progress, it appears in abdominal wall too. ...   Read full


This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Can you help with my daughter's low platelet count?

Query: Hi doctor, My 12 year old daughter was fatigued and had blue blotches over her body. The doctor locally ordered blood tests, and the results showed low platelet count of 50000. They administered Cortisone of 30 mg a day for two weeks, and the count went up to 100000. The doctor reduced Cortisone to...  Read Full »

I have reddish brown dots on my ankles. What can they be?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 26 year old male, very active. I have these reddish brown dots on my ankles. I have had for at least four years now. They are only reddish when they are fresh and then they fade to like a dark brown like color. I also noticed that my ankles were becoming a bit swollen too. I star...  Read Full »

What are the causes for headaches and swollen feet?

Query: Hello doctor, I am wondering if anyone would know what is wrong or what other tests can be done. My ANA is 1:360, TSH is 0.5, free and total, T3 and T4 are normal. SLE (systemic lupus erythematosus) is negative, Sjorgen's is negative, and thyroid ultrasound is normal. Symptoms experienced are extrem...  Read Full »

Also Read

Sinusitis - Causes, Symptoms and Treatment
Sinusitis is the infection of the air cavities within the nasal passages. Normally, the healthy sinuses are filled with ...  Read more»
Asthma and Its Rising Incidence
This article explains about asthma and its causes. It also focuses on the benefits of starting early treatment to lead a...  Read more»
Parkinson's Disease: Historical Aspects and Current Treatment Approaches
This article discusses the historical aspects of Parkinsonism and, the evidence based approaches currently available for...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a General Surgeon Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.