Varicose Veins

What causes varicose veins in the penile shaft?

Query: Hi doctor About 11 weeks ago, I had unprotected sex when drunk. I have been tested and all clear. But, from the next day I had throbbing, dull ache on the penis. Then after two weeks, I realized a vein under my shaft on the right side had become inflamed. I can no longer masturbate or touch it witho...  Read Full »

Dr. Raman Tanwar

Andrologist, General Surgeon, Urologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com, The problem seems to be acute thrombophlebitis (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It can be cured with a course of antibiotics and anti-inflammatory agents. If the need arises, then be it can be excised with a minor surgery as well. We do not need to worry...  Read Full »

Can EDS cause spider veins?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 32 year old female, who weighs 150 lbs and 5.9 feet tall. I have been experiencing a burning, stinging, or intensely sharp pain in different areas of my body, which always seems to be coming from a vein or artery on my neck where carotid is, in the leg, foot, arm, and temple. I ha...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. People suffering from EDS (Ehlers-Danlos syndrome) tend to develop neuropathy like symptoms, that is tingling sensations. This could be a result of neuropathy or just somatic in nature. Important here is that, if all your parameters and blood work, ultrasound are within ...  Read Full »

Please explain the Doppler report and suggest which specialty doctor we need to consult.

Query: Hello doctor,My mother-in-law has knee pain for almost three years. Earlier, the pain was mild, and she was taking anti-inflammatory and pain killers under orthopedics care. Now, her pain is quite severe, and the pain killer does not provide any relief. We had Doppler study for her legs, and I have ...  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Radiodiagnosis Physician, Radiologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have viewed the prescription and the right lower limb arterial and venous Doppler scan reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The prescription mentions medications and injection given for severe pain and discomfort. The arterial Doppler for right...  Read Full »

The veins in arms and legs are bulging with pain. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I am 19 years old and I am currently experiencing an issue with the veins in my arms and legs, primarily on the left side of my body. It started about a month ago when I noticed a vein on the top of my left foot that started bulging up out of nowhere. It was concerning but not painful un...  Read Full »

Dr. Ohams Henry

General Practitioner, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your problem looks like varicose vein. Veins will bulge when you are standing or moving around when unlike down it regressed and blood flows back into the deeper veins and empty back into the heart. Varicosity is due to incompetence or weakness in the valves within v...  Read Full »

Will varicose veins cause any complications during endoscopy?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been recently diagnosed with varicose veins in my left leg. I also have multiple heart problems which are right bundle branch block, bicuspid aortic valve, high blood pressure, and patent foramen ovale. I also have Barrett's esophagus and this week, I am going in for an endosco...  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read through your query in detail. Please find my observations below. I can see that your leg has developed varicose veins (attachment removed to protect patient identity). This happens due to back flow of blood into the superficial venous system of the legs. We...  Read Full »

Why does the leg vein swell up when I do sit-ups?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 22 years old male. I am an athlete. One of my legs vein swells when I do sit-ups. Only for a short duration. I am tensed is there a problem. Kindly help me.  Read Full »

Dr. Sreenivasa Rao

Physiotherapist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your concern. The swollen up vein could be varicose veins. And if you keep doing some activities that increase the pressure in the lower body or abdomen, it can give rise to immense pressure preventing backflow of the blood to the heart via veins. So, there is...  Read Full »

My aunt has painful, bluish black nerves on her legs. Please help her.

Query: Hi doctor, My aunt is 50 years old. She has a condition of bluish black nerves on the back of her legs under the knees. I have attached the photo of her legs. This issue started a while back, and it has got worse now. She cannot stand for long even if she needs to. While walking, she can feel like ...  Read Full »

Dr. Prathap

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. This appears to be a case of varicose veins (attachment removed to protect patient identity). This is more common in people involved in works for long duration standing like teachers, conductors, etc. There appears to be a superimposed infection on them. This condition ra...  Read Full »

I am concerned that my mom may have a blood disorder. Kindly help.

Query: Hi doctor, I am concerned that my mother may have an undiagnosed blood disorder. Can you let me know if her symptoms are anything that can be related any blood disorder? She is 54 years old. Her weight is 65 kg. There is no history of cardiac problem or diabetes. She is relatively healthy and eats a...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: There appears to be no hematologic disorder as tests are normal (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Swelling in the legs could be due to varicose veins, causing fluid accumulation. Central retinal vein occlusion...  Read Full »

Please suggest some advice to reduce my mother's leg pain.

Query: Hi doctor, My mother is 68 years old. Her weight is 75 kg and height is 165 cm. She has severe right leg pain from behind the knee and around the calf muscle, especially in the nerves. She has varicose veins on her thighs and has had continuous pain for nearly 35 years following her third pregnan...  Read Full »

Andrologist, General Practitioner, Geriatrician, Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Psychotherapist, Sexologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com I do understand your concern. It is not possible to make conclusions with limited information, but you can do the following things for her to get pain relief. Ask her to elevate her leg while lying down on bed to at least 9 to 12 inches above like using three to four pillo...  Read Full »

Is it fine to get joint replacement immediately after varicose vein treatment?

Query: Hi doctor, My uncle has blood sugar, which is under control. He had laser treatment for varicose vein in the last month for one leg. Now, the doctor suggested that he needs to go for joint replacement for both the legs. Some of the doctors saying that there is some complexity as he had treatment for...  Read Full »

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Joint replacement surgery increase the chance of thromboembolic events, especially if you are immobilized after the surgery. My recommendation is to avoid the stress of second surgery and wait for a couple of months before going for total knee replacement surgery. For ...  Read Full »