Varicose Veins

What could be the reason for intermittent calf and chest pain?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 24-year-old female. I am 5'7" and weigh approximately 280 lbs. I am overweight. My question is that I have had this calf pain intermittently ever since I went bowling over a month ago. It comes and goes and the pain is honestly very random when it appears. It does not hurt worse ...  Read Full »

Dr. Arvind Guru

General Surgeon, Surgical Gastroenterologist, Surgical Oncologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. After reviewing your info, I think there are a couple of things I can tell you. I am assuming you have a B/ L (bilateral) pain and aching discomfort and not a sharp localized pain. Some of the causes for your pain are: 1) Most likely you have dehydration. 2) My secon...  Read Full »

Can varicose veins result from constipation and the absence of hunger?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother is getting varicose veins. It has just started. I just noticed these bulging veins today. I suspect the reason is chronic constipation and absence of hunger. Chronic pathogenic infection of GI tract may also be there. Flatulence and low energy levels are also present. What to...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. These are indeed varicose veins (attachment removed to protect patient identity); we usually treat them when they cause pain, swelling or ulcers and getting infected. In that situation surgery is usually recommended depending upon how bad they have been. For your mother;...  Read Full »

Why did my 12 years old grafted unhealing leg wound open up?

Query: Hi doctor, Around 12 years back, my unhealing leg wound was cured by multiple skin grafting. Now, after 12 years the wound opened up. Reason is unknown. Is it varicose? I have attached the latest snaps.  Read Full »

Dr. Vandana Andrews

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Wound dehiscence occurs when surgical wound closures reopen instead of proper healing. Reasons or people who are at high risk for wound dehiscence are as follows: Patients with a weak immune system or those people who are malnourished. It can also be due to underlying chr...  Read Full »

What causes varicose veins in the penile shaft?

Query: Hi doctor About 11 weeks ago, I had unprotected sex when drunk. I have been tested and all clear. But, from the next day I had throbbing, dull ache on the penis. Then after two weeks, I realized a vein under my shaft on the right side had become inflamed. I can no longer masturbate or touch it witho...  Read Full »

Dr. Raman Tanwar

Andrologist, General Surgeon, Urologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com, The problem seems to be acute thrombophlebitis (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It can be cured with a course of antibiotics and anti-inflammatory agents. If the need arises, then be it can be excised with a minor surgery as well. We do not need to worry...  Read Full »

Can EDS cause spider veins?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 32 year old female, who weighs 150 lbs and 5.9 feet tall. I have been experiencing a burning, stinging, or intensely sharp pain in different areas of my body, which always seems to be coming from a vein or artery on my neck where carotid is, in the leg, foot, arm, and temple. I ha...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. People suffering from EDS (Ehlers-Danlos syndrome) tend to develop neuropathy like symptoms, that is tingling sensations. This could be a result of neuropathy or just somatic in nature. Important here is that, if all your parameters and blood work, ultrasound are within ...  Read Full »

Please explain the Doppler report and suggest which specialty doctor we need to consult.

Query: Hello doctor,My mother-in-law has knee pain for almost three years. Earlier, the pain was mild, and she was taking anti-inflammatory and pain killers under orthopedics care. Now, her pain is quite severe, and the pain killer does not provide any relief. We had Doppler study for her legs, and I have ...  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Radiodiagnosis Physician, Radiologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have viewed the prescription and the right lower limb arterial and venous Doppler scan reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The prescription mentions medications and injection given for severe pain and discomfort. The arterial Doppler for right...  Read Full »

The veins in arms and legs are bulging with pain. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I am 19 years old and I am currently experiencing an issue with the veins in my arms and legs, primarily on the left side of my body. It started about a month ago when I noticed a vein on the top of my left foot that started bulging up out of nowhere. It was concerning but not painful un...  Read Full »

Dr. Ohams Henry

General Practitioner, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your problem looks like varicose vein. Veins will bulge when you are standing or moving around when unlike down it regressed and blood flows back into the deeper veins and empty back into the heart. Varicosity is due to incompetence or weakness in the valves within v...  Read Full »

Will varicose veins cause any complications during endoscopy?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been recently diagnosed with varicose veins in my left leg. I also have multiple heart problems which are right bundle branch block, bicuspid aortic valve, high blood pressure, and patent foramen ovale. I also have Barrett's esophagus and this week, I am going in for an endosco...  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read through your query in detail. Please find my observations below. I can see that your leg has developed varicose veins (attachment removed to protect patient identity). This happens due to back flow of blood into the superficial venous system of the legs. We...  Read Full »

Why does the leg vein swell up when I do sit-ups?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 22 years old male. I am an athlete. One of my legs vein swells when I do sit-ups. Only for a short duration. I am tensed is there a problem. Kindly help me.  Read Full »

Dr. Sreenivasa Rao

Physiotherapist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your concern. The swollen up vein could be varicose veins. And if you keep doing some activities that increase the pressure in the lower body or abdomen, it can give rise to immense pressure preventing backflow of the blood to the heart via veins. So, there is...  Read Full »

My aunt has painful, bluish black nerves on her legs. Please help her.

Query: Hi doctor, My aunt is 50 years old. She has a condition of bluish black nerves on the back of her legs under the knees. I have attached the photo of her legs. This issue started a while back, and it has got worse now. She cannot stand for long even if she needs to. While walking, she can feel like ...  Read Full »

Dr. Prathap

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. This appears to be a case of varicose veins (attachment removed to protect patient identity). This is more common in people involved in works for long duration standing like teachers, conductors, etc. There appears to be a superimposed infection on them. This condition ra...  Read Full »