Q. Is it fine to get joint replacement immediately after varicose vein treatment?

Dr. Sumit Chawla
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 05, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 30, 2020

My uncle has blood sugar, which is under control. He had laser treatment for varicose vein in the last month for one leg. Now, the doctor suggested that he needs to go for joint replacement for both the legs. Some of the doctors saying that there is some complexity as he had treatment for varicose vein. Is it really true? His age is 62. Presently, he is walking with pain. What is your suggestion? Can we go for joint replacement after a few months? Or can we go for it by next month itself?

#

• Joint replacement surgery increase the chance of thromboembolic events, especially if you are immobilized after the surgery.
  • My recommendation is to avoid the stress of second surgery and wait for a couple of months before going for total knee replacement surgery.

For further information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

|