Q. What could be the cause of ventricular fibrillation?

This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 09, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My 29 year old brother had a pacemaker placed three years ago after survival from a sudden cardiac arrest. Doctors found the cause of the cardiac arrest to be a ventricular fibrillation. Last week was the first time he received a shock from his pacemaker, that is, exactly three years after his first episode. My question is, whether we can find the root cause of his ventricular fibrillation. What is the best treatment for his case?

#

Ventricular fibrillation, the commonest cause is coronary artery disease. The other causes are dilated cardiomyopathy or low heart function.

What is his ejection fraction? Low ejection fraction due to any reason like coronary artery disease or others can lead to ventricular tachycardia and fibrillation.

He should undergo angiography, and echocardiogram, if he has not already. His electrolyte levels should also be checked as it is a very important precipitator for ventricular fibrillation.

In treatment, he should receive Cordarone (Amiodarone), and multiple other medicines depending upon the echocardiogram and angiography reports.

Usually, patients get antiplatelets like Aspirin, Clopidogrel, ACE inhibitor like ramipril, and Spironolactone along with other medications. You can upload his reports if any so that I can opine on the cause.

Hope this helps you and get back if you have any doubts.

For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

|