iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersCardiologyt-wave inversionCan T-wave inversion result from radiation therapy?

Could radiation therapy cause T-wave inversion?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

Dr. K. Shobana

Published At September 27, 2016
Reviewed AtJune 2, 2023

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

The patient is a 65 year old, hypertensive and diabetic female with T-wave inversion V1 to V6 on ECG. ECHO and TMT have done to evaluate further, which was reported to be normal. The patient is on Metformin XR and Tazloc-H. The patient is asymptomatic. Six months back, ECG did not show these changes. She is hypertensive for 15 years and diabetic for the last 10 years. What could be the cause of these changes? Please advice.

Answered by Dr. Manish N. Garg


Welcome to icliniq.com.

Global T-wave inversion carries a very little significance (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I would suggest repeating the ECG (electrocardiogram) again in six months if the patient is asymptomatic. If otherwise, you can get a CT coronary angiography to rule out any CAD (coronary artery disease).

Patient's Query

Thank you doctor,

The patient has had radiotherapy for early stage of left side breast cancer six months back. Could radiation cause T-wave inversion and also a rise in triglycerides?

Answered by Dr. Manish N. Garg


Welcome back to icliniq.com.

Yes, radiation to the chest can cause T-wave inversion. Triglycerides if high, then needs to be brought under control. They can be troublesome.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Manish N. Garg
Dr. Manish N. Garg


Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy