Q. How to prevent redness of eyes in vernal conjunctivitis?

Dr. Dada Peer K

My son is 8 years old and sometimes he has bloodshot eyes. This allergy was started when he was one year old. He has been diagnosed as vernal conjunctivitis.

Dr. Dada Peer K

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

I reviewed your history. Vernal conjunctivitis is a chronic condition and requires treatment for a long time. It usually decreases in severity by 15 years of age.

The treatment mainly involves the use of antiallergic drugs like Olopatadine with steroid eye drops in acute and severe cases. Since the treatment is required for a long time the treatment needs to be done under the supervision of an ophthalmologist. Hence, I advise you to consult your eye doctor for examination and treatment accordingly.

| 

I want to know what type of precautions my son should take to avoid redness in the eyes. He is suffering from this problem for 7 years and has been continuously treated by steroids like FML, Formal forte and many more. Are these drops safe for him? And does any dust and greenery around him also affect his eyes? Redness in eyes occurs in summer only. His eyes are perfectly normal in winter. Please tell me the precautions.

Dr. Dada Peer K

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

I reviewed your history and I can understand your concerns. Vernal conjunctivitis usually occurs in boys as an allergic response and it is seen in summer months. As in winter because of cold vasoconstriction of the blood vessels, it will be controlled during winter.

Vernal conjunctivitis is a self-limiting problem and it will be cured by 15-20 years naturally also. In this age group, he requires treatment by anti-allergic eye drops like Cromal forte or Olopatadine.

Steroid eye drops like FML should be used with caution and always under the supervision of your eye doctor as they can cause complications like glaucoma. Hence the use of steroid drugs should be limited only to acute and severe episodes.

Exposure to dust and smoke should be avoided. It is better to avoid outdoor games. In severe cases, newer and safer drugs like cyclosporine eye drops can be used instead of steroids. Washing the eyes with cold water or normal water once or twice will be helpful. Regular follow up and treatment is the key for treatment of vernal conjunctivitis.

| 

Please suggest a possible diagnosis for lower and upper back pain.

Query: Hello doctor, For the last two years, I have back pain in the upper and lower region. I am uploading here with my reports for your reference. Please suggest diagnosis and medicines to cure this disease.  Read Full »