Q. Had corneal transplant and my vision is opaque now. Is this rejection?

Dr. Anand Yattinamani
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 06, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 10, 2020

I am having vision problem in my right eye. I had corneal transplant done and no stitches have been removed. My vision is opaque now. Is this possibly a rejection? For the eye, I am using Prednisolone, Timolol, antibiotic eye drops and Muro 128. I am diabetic and also taking medicines for blood pressure, cholesterol, depression and prostate problem. Please help.

#

• The outcome of the corneal transplant usually depends on the cause for which it is done.
  • If it is done for optical reasons (vision) then vision is usually good.
  • If it is done for therapeutic reasons (to save the collapse of the eye ball) then the visual outcome is poor.
  • In your case it can be either transplant failure or rejection. This may be precipitated by diabetes.
  • Also, sutures are not removed unless they are causing irritation in the eyes (not before six months at least).
  • If you had a good vision before surgery then you are most likely to get even better vision after surgery.
  • Keep using the same drops for three months and decrease the frequency of use as the time process and symptoms decrease.
  • Please send high quality pictures of your eyes and old records for more suggestions.

Revert back with the photos to an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

|