Q. Why am I not able to see colors and lights as bright as before?

Dr. Arnab Pal
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 13, 2020 and last reviewed on: Aug 01, 2020
A couple weeks back I had this episode where the muscles around my eyes just tensed up and I felt a lot of pain and pressure around my eyebrows, nose. I had pain around the outer corner of my eyes - felt like a nerve being stretched. My vision dimmed a lot but recovered a little bit. I went to see 2 doctors they said it was digital eye strain and that it should be fine. My eye pressure was around 18. Over the past 2-3 weeks my screen time is 2 hours a day at the max and I'm not doing anything that strains my eyes like reading. I still cant see colors and lights as bright as before. Things feel more 'white' than before if you know what I mean. My eyes pain from time to time.

Some background: I had a lot of anxiety and stress in the weeks prior to that episode. I thought it could be that. I have since calmed down. The trips to the doctor helped reassure that nothing was wrong and that these vision problems would eventually pass - I thought i was just overthinking. But I'm still having these problems and I don't know what to do anymore. I have floaters but have had them for a long time now. I'm nearsighted. My age is 28. My symptoms are consistent - they dont come and go. Any help would be appreciated. I have already seen 2 eye doctors and i am hesistant to make another appointment because of the pandemic.

Dr. Arnab Pal

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

Hello.

Your long query does indicate you are quite disturbed about it.

Pressure around the neck head and eyes are often related to anxiety.So I would suggest you to sleep well and even take medication if it helps you sleep peacefully.

Secondly 2 eye doctors must not be very wrong.

Still I would suggest you to get your colour vision checked as well and also get automated perimetry (AP 24-2) done at an eye hospital. Sometimes decrease in brightness and contrast often signal problem with our optic nerve and these 2 tests will help you exclude them as causes.

Hope it helps. Thanks

|