Q. I have dry eyes, eye strain and stinging due to constant computer use. What should I do?

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

Hello doctor,

I am having dry eye problems since the last three years due to heavy computer usage. The eyes feel dry, and sometimes there is burning. Reading strains my eyes. I take Omega 369 tablets when this problem occurs, and then I would be alright for 15 to 30 days. But, it would resurface after a few weeks. Last year, I took I-Omega tablets (fish oil Omega 3) for three months, and the problem was solved for a few months, but now it is back. I also put Soft drops three to four times every day before using the computer.

Last month, my doctor suggested I take Retinox tablet (Zeaxanthin, Lutein, Astaxanthin, Omega 3) for 15 days. The eye problem was cured after taking medicine. But, now the same problem has recurred. These are some queries I have. Which medicine is better for dry eye purely omega 3 or omega 3 with zeaxanthin, and lutein? How many days should I take the medication for, to prevent my dry eye problem from recurring? Is there any other medicine I should take to cure dry eyes? Looking forward your reply.

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

• There is no permanent treatment for dry eyes. The treatment options are:
  1. Take a break after every hour of computer work.
  2. Blink a lot.
  3. Apply cold compresses.
  4. Use anti-glare glasses.
  5. Use lubricating eyedrop frequently like refresh tears.
  • You may use either Omega-3 fatty acid or its combination. Omega-3 fatty acids help in treating dryness, but neither of them can cure the dryness.
  • Medicines alone will not help. Preventive steps, as mentioned above, should be exercised. Treatment of dry eyes is long lasting with proper prevention.

For more information consult an ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

| 

Thanks a lot for the reply. I need specific details for the following points. Regarding Omega-3 dosage, for how many days should I take it? There are two kinds of antiglare lenses, one for general use and another one that specifically protects from blue lights of the digital screen. How are specially designed Gunnar glasses, that comes with a yellow tint, for computer users? Also, you had mentioned cold compress for eyes, but my doctor suggested me a hot compress. Please suggest which one is better. How exactly is a cold compress done?

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

• The dosage of Omega-3 fatty acid is 1000 mg twice daily. So that would be a total of four capsules of 500 mg. You can increase the dose up to 1500 mg twice daily.
  • These are meant for prolonged use. You can take it for six months, discontinue it for six months, and then restart it again. The cost would be the only issue in the long run.
  • Walnuts are a natural source of omega acid. You can consume at least one walnut each day.
  • Blue light affects the circadian rhythm, that is, the body clock, and so the sleep pattern could be affected. That is the reason, we sometimes find it hard to fall asleep. So, you may use blue light blocking anti-glare glasses.
  • I have very little knowledge about Gunnar glasses in particular, but a yellow tint glass would filter the blue light, thus helping you fall asleep. You can confirm this from an optician.
  • Actually, meibomitis, an inflammation of meibomian glands present in the eyelid, is the most common cause of dryness of the eyes.
  • So, to treat dry eyes, we have to treat meibomitis. Treatment of meibomitis includes warm compresses, followed by lid massage with index finger from up to down over the tarsal glands. This can be done once or twice daily. Your doctor will prescribe Doxycycline tablet in the case of severe meibomitis.
  • A warm compress can be done in the morning and evening. A cold compress can be done at daytime. But remember, only hot fomentation will not help. Only if it is followed with a lid massage, will it give a long lasting relief.

I hope this answers your questions.

|