Vitrectomy, an eye surgery used for treating the problems of the eyes and retina, is done in cases of severe eye injury, some problems in cataract surgery, a hole in the macula, wrinkles in the macula, endophthalmitis, some forms of retinal detachment, and diabetic retinopathy presenting with bleeding affecting the retina of the eyes. During this procedure, some amount of vitreous or all is removed from the eyes. Then it is replaced with saline solution or a bubble made of gas or oil. During healing, bubble or saline solution are replaced with natural fluid produced in the eyes called aqueous humor.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by Verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

How to recover lens from vitreous with endophthalmitis infection?

Query: Hi doctor, What is the next step done after cataract surgery when the cataract is falling into vitreous? Does it require vitrectomy surgery to recover lens from vitreous followed by streptococcus bacteria causing endophthalmitis infection and multiple antibiotic injections? The doctor examined and ...  Read Full »

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

Answer: Hi, Welcome to The lens falling into vitreous followed by endophthalmitis requires intravitreal antibiotic injections, and if the patient's visual acuity deteriorates further, then vitrectomy is necessary. Regarding the corneal transplant, it is usually done in a disease entity called...  Read Full »

What does retinal detachment mean?

Query: Hi doctor, While blinking my eyes, some round shaped image is appearing in my left eyelid. I seek doctor’s advice and he said that I have a retinal detachment. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Asif Manzoor

Answer: Hi, Welcome to The round images you see are called floaters. These are associated with posterior vitreous detachment (PVD). With PVD there may be a break or hole in retina and that can lead to retinal detachment (RD). With retinal detachment initially there may be a curtain in the visua...  Read Full »

My mother is not able to see things clearly because of ERM. What is the treatment?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother is 59-years-old. Her height 5'2 and weight 66. She has ERM in eyes, and so, she is not able to see correctly. She has done the OCT test twice this year. 1. Observed ERM in both eyes. 2. ILM RPE central subfield thickness is 387. 3. Cube volume is 12.1. 4. Cube average th...  Read Full »

Dr. Prashant Koranmath

Answer: Hello, Welcome to She has problem in macular region in which there is decreased vision mostly central vision. Epiretinal membrane has thickened on the retina. Most cases improve on medication. Of vision is degrading. It has to be surgically corrected by doing vitrectomy intraretinal ...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.