Q. Do we require vitrectomy to recover lens from vitreous along with endophthalmitis infection?

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

What is the next step done after cataract surgery when the cataract is falling into vitreous? Does it require vitrectomy surgery to recover lens from vitreous followed by streptococcus bacteria causing endophthalmitis infection and multiple antibiotic injections? The doctor examined and told me that my retina looks attached and my pressure is 13. My cornea has hypopyon. My iris has opacity, and I can see only a distorted and lighted background. My doctor recommends a cornea transplant for viewing and vitrectomy. Please suggest.

#

The lens falling into vitreous followed by endophthalmitis requires intravitreal antibiotic injections, and if the patient's visual acuity deteriorates further, then vitrectomy is necessary. Regarding the corneal transplant, it is usually done in a disease entity called bullous keratopathy. But it can also be done for a variety of other reasons. Endophthalmitis is a very troublesome problem and needs a lot of patient cooperation with medication compliance and follow-ups.

|