Q. Why do I get eye floaters and see fogginess around street lamps at night?

Dr. Prashant Koranmath
and medically reviewed by Dr.P.C.Pavithra Pattu

I am a healthy 31-year-old male with no medical problems.

My first eye floaters started eight years ago and increased in the last month when I took Bromelain supplements to help with eye floaters. I see fogginess around street lamps at night, and my eyes quickly get red when I walk from outside to indoors. I went to several optometrists and retina specialists, but it is of no help. They claim I am myopic and have PVD, but my glasses numbers are only -1.75 and -2.00. My right eye has lattice degeneration, according to two retina specialists. I am bothered by the eye floaters, which are dark, and can see it even in indoors in low light. Can you recommend me something to cure these floaters? I have pictures of my last three years' fundus examination. My eye pressures were normal as well.

#

There is a jelly-like substance in the eye called vitreous. As age progresses, it starts to liquefy or gets detached, and you start seeing floaters, or it also happens in high myopes. You should go to an Ophthalmologist immediately in case if there is an increase in the number of these floaters, or decreased vision, or if you see flashes of light. Because these are the signs of retinal detachment, please get your retina checked. To remove the floaters, vitrectomy has to be done (which is a complicated process), if they are causing too much visual disturbance. For lattice degeneration, laser retinopexy has to be done to seal it since it is a weak spot. Your fundus photographs are all fine (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity).

I hope this helps. Feel free to contact me if you have any further questions or concerns. Take care.

Thank you for the response. My retina specialist recommended I do laser for lattice degeneration, and I want to know if that will fix the problem. Are there any vitamins or any natural ways to decrease my floaters? When the doctor places dilation drops, I happen to see rainbows around the lamps. Is the haziness or bright circles around street lamps normal?

#

There are no natural ways to decrease floaters. The laser will seal the weak spot that is the lattice to prevent it from further extending. It will not reduce the floaters. Haziness or bright circles around lights is due to myopia. Rainbows around light after dilating eyes is also normal because more light enters the eye.

|