Q. What is the success rate of vocal cord cyst surgery through MLS?

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

My wife, aged 32, has to talk a lot due to her profession. She has been diagnosed with a vocal cord cyst. The doctor has recommended surgery.

I want to know a few details. In this type of MLS, what is the success rate? Will the patient get normal voice after surgery? Can this cyst be malignant? Is voice therapy needed after surgery? What is the chance of recurrence? What precautions should be maintained after surgery? Can this cyst be cured with medicine? Please suggest. I have attached the endoscopy report and prescription.

#

Thanks for briefing the problem in concern. I had a detailed look at the reports you have sent (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

This does look like a vocal cord cyst. The success rate depends on various factors like the completeness of the resection by the surgeon and to what extent the patient has been able to follow the precautions mentioned post-surgery, such as vocal hygiene and voice rest.

Yes, your voice will become normal after a well-done surgery. And with the appearance, it is very unlikely that the cyst is malignant. The chance of recurrence is above 50 % if adequate absolute voice rest for two weeks is not given post-surgery.

Absolute voice rest for the next two weeks post-surgery. Avoid oily, spicy food items, fizzy beverages, etc. Keep a strict diet and voice rest between lectures. Gargling is not advised post-surgery as it does not allow the vocal cords to heal adequately.

A vocal cord cyst is best removed via MLS (micro laryngeal surgery) either by conventional technique or laser. Medical management has no definitive role to play here.

| 

Why has my voice changed suddenly after oversinging?

Query: Hello doctor,I have been having voice trouble since last seven months. I oversang one night, and for about three months after that, it was extremely fatiguing to speak. I had an ENT look at my cords with the mirror right at the beginning, and he said there was minor irritation, but no nodules. The t...  Read Full »

Will varicose veins cause any complications during endoscopy?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been recently diagnosed with varicose veins in my left leg. I also have multiple heart problems which are right bundle branch block, bicuspid aortic valve, high blood pressure, and patent foramen ovale. I also have Barrett's esophagus and this week, I am going in for an endosco...  Read Full »

I am a singer.I have sore throat and unable to sing or even speak normally.Please advice.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 21 year old male and I have been suffering from sore throat for 2 and a half months now. It all started in late December. I am a singer, and I came down with a very light cold. Due to the weather, I had a light sore throat. During this time, I had to sing and speak loudly with ...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»