Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. My father's ENT found a small lesion at his vocal fold. Is this something serious?

Answered by
Dr. Prathap
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 28, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Hi doctor,

This is regarding the health of my 57 year old father. He is a non-smoker, vegetarian, and a non-drinker. He had a complaint of a low voice since the last 10 days. Yesterday, he had to visit an ENT for a check up. They did a video laryngoscopy and found a small lesion at the vocal junction. I am attaching the photos for your understanding. The doctor suggested medication. He told that there is a 90 % chance, it will be normal in a week. If not, we have to plan for a minor surgery. Could you please let me know how serious it is? Is surgery required? If yes, how painful will it be?

Dr. Prathap

General Medicine Internal Medicine


Welcome to

I have seen the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

  • This is a vocal nodule that is common in those who are involved in teaching or singing.
  • The initial treatment plan will be a trial of drugs for one or two weeks and if it is decreased, then it is not a problem. If it persists, then it should be removed with a small surgery.
  • The surgery is a small procedure and is not very painful.
  • After removing the lesion, it has to be tested for signs of cancerous cells. The treatment is based on further reports.

For further queries consult an internal medicine physician online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
Why is my hair thinning and losing volume after delivery?
Bladder biopsy shows eosinophilic cystitis with eosinophil infiltration. Please help.
What is the lump in throat followed by dry cough?
Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

What are the risks of conducting biopsy on a pregnant woman?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 30 years old and 20 weeks pregnant. I got an abnormal pap result with ASC-H. I had another pap two years ago and it was normal. My doctor wants to do a colposcopy and biopsy. However, I read that it does result in complication when biopsy is performed on a pregnant woman. Can I do bi...  Read Full »

How to treat teacher's nodules?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from teacher's nodules. It is on and off for the past eight months. I took some medication, which was prescribed by my doctor. Whenever I keep mum, my voice is improved. But, I cannot stop speaking loud due to my profession. I really want to get rid of them as I feel heavy,...  Read Full »

Also Read

Crohn's Disease
Crohn's disease causes inflammation of the digestive tract, which results in symptoms like severe diarrhea, stomach pain...  Read more»
I was diagnosed with Celiac disease a year back. Can you suggest any medicine?
Having celiac fromnlast 10 year dignosis recently ayear ago since then i am gluten free still cant absorb food feeling w...  Read more»
My head is shivering from 20 days, and it feels like head trauma. What is the cause?
Hello sir, My head is shivering like anything , feeling like trauma is head. And its start anytime in a day and when s...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Internal Medicine Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.