Q. My father's ENT found a small lesion at his vocal fold. Is this something serious?

Dr. Prathap
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 28, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

This is regarding the health of my 57 year old father. He is a non-smoker, vegetarian, and a non-drinker. He had a complaint of a low voice since the last 10 days. Yesterday, he had to visit an ENT for a check up. They did a video laryngoscopy and found a small lesion at the vocal junction. I am attaching the photos for your understanding. The doctor suggested medication. He told that there is a 90 % chance, it will be normal in a week. If not, we have to plan for a minor surgery. Could you please let me know how serious it is? Is surgery required? If yes, how painful will it be?

Dr. Prathap

#

I have seen the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• This is a vocal nodule that is common in those who are involved in teaching or singing.
  • The initial treatment plan will be a trial of drugs for one or two weeks and if it is decreased, then it is not a problem. If it persists, then it should be removed with a small surgery.
  • The surgery is a small procedure and is not very painful.
  • After removing the lesion, it has to be tested for signs of cancerous cells. The treatment is based on further reports.

For further queries consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|