Q. What causes sudden breathlessness with inconsistent voice?

Dr. B. Vageesh Padiyar

I am a singer and I have a big problem with my voice, I really hope you can help. My voice is fine for the 10 months of the year, but right when summer starts, I completely lose my voice. This started last year, when I started getting uncomfortable when singing. At first just the higher notes (that are not even that high for me) but by the middle of July, my voice was completely gone. I went to many doctors, but nobody could help me. My voice started getting better in September and was completely fine in November. Now it is, again, very uncomfortable to sing. I suddenly have breathiness, where it should not be. My voice is not consistent nor reliable. I am concidering voice therapy but do not want to spend so much money again and not getting help. I also struggle a lot with very bad anxiety but I do not feel it getting so much worse in the summer, maybe just a little.

#

I feel you are having seasonal acute laryngitis. First and foremost acute inflammation of the vocal cords what we call as acute laryngitis requires proper precautionary measures for a certain amount of time with proper treatment failing which the problems will recur again after a short span of relief.

My advice to you would be to give "absolute voice rest" during that period. Now absolute voice rest means you should not even be saying yes/no during the day. The vocal cords require time to heal completely and this takes usually 10 to 14 days for things to completely settle down. Make sure you do not strain your voice during that season.

You can also follow the advice given and can be considered during the episodes of laryngitis. Tablet Wysolone 20 mg once a day after bfast for 2 days followed by 10 mg for 2 days and finally followed by 5 mg for next 2 days. This is a steroid and to be taken only when is voice is completely gone and not otherwise. Drink lots of boiled warm water every 2 hours. Steam inhalations will also be useful. Salt gargles 4 to 5 times a day will also bring a lot of benefit. Absolute voice rest.

|