Q. I had throat pain after singing, is that due to vocal strain?

Dr. Srinidhi Ravi

I am a new singer. Last week, I sang a lengthy song without warm up. In the evening, I had severe throat pain. I gave voice rest, but still I have some sensitivity in my throat. I feel quite tired always. Is this because of vocal strain? I also have tonsils. My throat feels uncomfortable and at the end of the day, it hurts a lot. I never lost my voice due to singing or any type of throat pain. Currently, I am taking an antidepressant, Fluoxetine. Here is the picture for your reference, which I took four days after singing.

Do you have a question on Throat Pain or Steam Inhalation?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Srinidhi Ravi

MS ENT., MBBS
Allergy Specialist Otolaryngology (E.N.T)

• You are suffering from vocal strain and a mild throat infection. You always feel tired due to this infection.
  • Whenever you suffer from any throat infection, it causes a strain on your voice. As you also sang without any warm up, your throat could not handle the additional strain.
  • I advice you voice rest for the next three days till the infection clears up, that is to avoid singing, whispering, shouting and speaking. Speak only when you absolutely need to.
  • Take plenty of warm fluids and soups. Avoid spicy food and cold drinks.
  • Do steam inhalation through your nose and mouth for your voice.
  • I suggest you Tylenol (Acetaminophen) if there is any lumpy feeling in the throat. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and then take the medicine with consent.

For further information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

I got my tonsils removed last year. Now, I have redness on one side. Why?
Query: Hello doctor, I had my tonsils removed last year. Now, on one side, I have this red area. It can get inflamed sometimes and every now and then, I get a cyst or ulcer in that area. Why is this area red and not on the other side? Is it due to a lot of blood vessels in one area that used to supply the...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have viewed the images attached by you (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The area is congested due to the blood vessels. The opposite area is also congested although not as much as the left. It is called flushing of the anterior pillars. This is chara...  Read Full »

I have sore throat from two years. Please advise.
Query: Hello doctor,I have a bad case of sore throat. It has been two years since I have a sore throat. I regularly gargle with hot water or diluted Betadine gargles (Povidone-iodine solution ), but there is no effect. Rather, it has gotten worse.  Read Full »
Dr. A.k.srivastava

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you are a chronic patient of pharyngeal infection, we have to rule out all possible causes one by one with a thorough examination and necessary investigations. You should go for the following investigations. CT paranasal sinuses. Culture and sensitivity of throa...  Read Full »

Why does my 7-year-old have breathing difficulty, cough and throat pain?
Query: Hi doctor, My 7 year old daughter has difficulty in breathing. Sometimes, she also makes noise while breathing. She has frequent cough and pain in the throat. The doctor advised a few medications. There was a little relief after two days. After exemption of medicine, the breathing difficulty, cough...  Read Full »
Dr. Sugandh Garg

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The following precautions are very important for your child: Avoid cool drinks. Avoid sour fruits like lemon, orange, etc. Give steam inhalation with a drop or two of Benzoine tincture. Avoid outside food, fried food, and colored food. Gargle with warm salt water twice ...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now