Q. I had throat pain after singing, is that due to vocal strain?

Dr. Srinidhi Ravi
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 09, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 03, 2019

I am a new singer. Last week, I sang a lengthy song without warm up. In the evening, I had severe throat pain. I gave voice rest, but still I have some sensitivity in my throat. I feel quite tired always. Is this because of vocal strain? I also have tonsils. My throat feels uncomfortable and at the end of the day, it hurts a lot. I never lost my voice due to singing or any type of throat pain. Currently, I am taking an antidepressant, Fluoxetine. Here is the picture for your reference, which I took four days after singing.

#

• You are suffering from vocal strain and a mild throat infection. You always feel tired due to this infection.
  • Whenever you suffer from any throat infection, it causes a strain on your voice. As you also sang without any warm up, your throat could not handle the additional strain.
  • I advice you voice rest for the next three days till the infection clears up, that is to avoid singing, whispering, shouting and speaking. Speak only when you absolutely need to.
  • Take plenty of warm fluids and soups. Avoid spicy food and cold drinks.
  • Do steam inhalation through your nose and mouth for your voice.
  • I suggest you Tylenol (Acetaminophen) if there is any lumpy feeling in the throat. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and then take the medicine with consent.

For further information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

|