Voice Rest

Please suggest a solution for throat congestion.

Query: Hi doctor, Actually, my problem does not seem to be a serious one, but as of now it has become really annoying for me. Basically, I am giving some singing auditions. But, the problem is continuously for a period of some past eight to nine months I am having some kind of my congestion in my throat, ...  Read Full »

Dr. Nasheed Baig

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are facing this problem because you are putting strain on your sound box and vocal cords. You need to take a break. Give rest to your sound box for 10 to 14 days. Take plenty of water. Do steam inhalation twice a day. Also, I suggest you use some anti-inflammatory med...  Read Full »

I am getting pain in my throat while singing high notes. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a singer, but in recent times, I have not been able to sing high pitch. I develop pain in my throat while singing high notes. I want to show you what happens when I sing using a sample song. Can you diagnose and give treatment after listening to my song?  Read Full »

Dr. Rohan S. Navelkar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I treat a lot of singers, so I totally understand what you are going through. To answer your first question, yes it is totally possible to diagnose based on an audio clip of you singing (attachment removed to protect patient identity), though a better method would be a ...  Read Full »

Why am I having sudden breathlessness with inconsistent voice?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a singer and I have a big problem with my voice, I really hope you can help. My voice is fine for the 10 months of the year, but right when summer starts, I completely lose my voice. This started last year, when I started getting uncomfortable when singing. At first just the high...  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I feel you are having seasonal acute laryngitis. First and foremost acute inflammation of the vocal cords what we call as acute laryngitis requires proper precautionary measures for a certain amount of time with proper treatment failing which the problems will recur aga...  Read Full »

I get recurrent voice box swelling with disturbance to talk or sing. How worse is the damage?

Query: Hello doctor, I had voice box swelling before two months. I had taken medicines for around 10 days, it subsided and my voice was getting better. But at the beginning of this month, it started again. I could not visit any doctor due to the lockdown. I tried to rest my voice and did continuous steami...  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. First and foremost, acute inflammation of the vocal cords what we call acute laryngitis requires proper precautionary measures for a certain amount of time with proper treatment failing of which the problems will recur again after a short span of relief. My advice to y...  Read Full »

How is vocal cord swelling treated?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from vocal folds swelling. I feel my voice is too low. Local ENT specialist advised me to take steam through mouth. Please help me out.  Read Full »

Dr. Baidya Nath Majhi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Vocal cord swelling may be due to various causes like respiratory tract infection, gastric reflux, voice abuse, etc. So, first thing you need to do is absolute voice rest for couple of days and maintaining proper voice hygiene. Except that to minimize reflux, avo...  Read Full »

Why has my voice changed suddenly after oversinging?

Query: Hello doctor,I have been having voice trouble since last seven months. I oversang one night, and for about three months after that, it was extremely fatiguing to speak. I had an ENT look at my cords with the mirror right at the beginning, and he said there was minor irritation, but no nodules. The t...  Read Full »

Dr. Dheeraj Kumar Jonnalagadda

ENT Otolaryngologist, Allergy Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. 1. The conclusions from your problems can be a vocal cyst which is not seen through a head mirror, so you can get an endoscopy done after which if not conclusive can go for videostroboscopy which is the ultimate tool. 2. You told you were using Levothyroxine. Are yo...  Read Full »

How to treat teacher's nodules?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from teacher's nodules. It is on and off for the past eight months. I took some medication, which was prescribed by my doctor. Whenever I keep mum, my voice is improved. But, I cannot stop speaking loud due to my profession. I really want to get rid of them as I feel heavy,...  Read Full »

Dr. Deepak Verma

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can very well understand your problem. Teacher's nodules (vocal cord nodules) occur in teachers, singers and children due to vocal trauma. Voice rest is the foremost recommended treatment for such nodule. I know due to your profession you cannot do this. But, try to giv...  Read Full »

Why does my throat hurt after singing?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a new singer. Last week, I sang a lengthy song without warm up. In the evening, I had severe throat pain. I gave voice rest, but still I have some sensitivity in my throat. I feel quite tired always. Is this because of vocal strain? I also have tonsils. My throat feels uncomfortable...  Read Full »

Dr. Srinidhi Ravi

Allergy Specialist, ENT Otolaryngologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are suffering from vocal strain and a mild throat infection. You always feel tired due to this infection. Whenever you suffer from any throat infection, it causes a strain on your voice. As you also sang without any warm up, your throat could not handle ...  Read Full »

What can be done for horseness of voice which is lasting for more than a month?

Query: Hello doctor, I have problem in one cord and it is for about a month now. I was given Defcort and antibiotic for a week. Persisting for little over a month now.  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Since how long you have been having this problem? As per the picture, it has been there on only one cord. If it is early stages, conservative management can be tried. Did your doctor tell you about it? One month duration is a bit less to decide on surgery I feel. You s...  Read Full »

My father's ENT found a small lesion at his vocal fold. Is this something serious?

Query: Hi doctor, This is regarding the health of my 57 year old father. He is a non-smoker, vegetarian, and a non-drinker. He had a complaint of a low voice since the last 10 days. Yesterday, he had to visit an ENT for a check up. They did a video laryngoscopy and found a small lesion at the vocal ju...  Read Full »

Dr. Prathap

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity). This is a vocal nodule that is common in those who are involved in teaching or singing. The initial treatment plan will be a trial of drugs for one or two weeks and if it is decreased, then it i...  Read Full »