Q. I have hoarseness of voice for a month. Please help.

Published on May 18, 2019

I have problem in one cord and it is for about a month now. I was given Defcort and antibiotic for a week. Persisting for little over a month now.

Allergy Specialist Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Since how long you have been having this problem? As per the picture, it has been there on only one cord. If it is early stages, conservative management can be tried. Did your doctor tell you about it?

One month duration is a bit less to decide on surgery I feel. You should go for conservative treatment. Conservative treatment means antireflux and antacid measures along with control of allergy. Dietary precautions are to be taken. Absolute voice rest should be maintained. What is your job? Do you speak a lot or sing?

Please find the reports attached.

1. Having this hoarseness for a little over a month.

2. No, in general does not shout or speak much.

3. I am a smoker.

#

When was the laryngoscopy test done?

Yesterday, it was done.

#

I have seen the photos and prescription (attachment removed to protect patient identity). My views are that you can wait for a month or two and follow these measures strictly.

1. Absolute voice rest for a week.

2. Followed by restricted use of voice for a month.

3. No shouting or whispering. Do not talk in unnatural frequencies. Speak gently.

4. Drink plenty of water.

5. Avoid exposure to dust, sun, pollution, smoke and pollen.

6. I would suggest if you were to come to me, Allegra M tablet once in the evening daily for two months and capsule Raciper D one capsule before breakfast daily for two months.

7. Do not eat spicy oily foods. Avoid alcohol, carbonated drinks and soda. Do not fast. Have regular meals or some food every few hours. Let your stomach not be fasting.

Let us review again after a couple of months with fresh laryngoscopy and we can see. There are good chances that you will be fine with conservative management like the above and if not we can always go for surgery then.

Please suggest treatment for dysphonia.

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with dysphonia about a month ago. I have had a couple of speech therapy sessions but progress is glacial. I am still hoarse and in pain. I have been on 40 mg of Omeprazole for a month and Gaviscon Double Action for two weeks. I feel like the back of my throat is still ...  Read Full »

2.8 years old cried hard and developed hoarse voice. Is that due to crying or infection?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter who is 2.8 years old cried hard before two weeks and developed a hoarse voice the next day. It subsided in about three days. Before a week, I remember her throwing tantrums and crying hard for every small thing and again developed a hoarse voice. I gave warm water and honey...  Read Full »

Why is there a lump in throat followed by dry cough?

Query: Hello doctor, There is a lump in throat under the chin, lump on left side of the neck and lump on the left shoulder. Followed by headaches, voice hoarseness, and dry irritation cough. I am a female of 32 years.  Read Full »