iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersFamily Physicianweight gainI have gained weight and missed my period for a year. Why?

How to manage missed period for a year due to weight gain?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At June 27, 2018
Reviewed AtJune 12, 2024

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

I am a 27-year-old female. I had a really tough time in the last two years. I have taken therapy for depression and anxiety. I gained around 44 lbs of weight in the last two years. My periods are absent from a year and I am losing hair from the top of my head. My face is full of acne and oil. Please help me. What should I do?


Welcome to icliniq.com.

Firstly, I would like to assure you not to worry. Tension and worry only worsen your problem. So, relax

Secondly, you need to do the following:

You have mentioned about undergoing depression and anxiety but have not mentioned the kind of medication you took. Some anti-depressants cause weight gain and the changes it causes to your physical state needs to be counteracted through physical activity. So, check the medications and follow up with me or your therapist to make changes for the same.

I am assuming you have not done any investigations or laboratory tests for the present condition. You need to carry out thyroid tests, complete blood count and uterus scan for ruling out certain conditions like PCOD (polycystic ovaries disease) that result in the current symptoms. In case of PCOD, it needs treatment and your present symptoms would fade with time. So, it is very important.

You need to make changes in your diet plan. You need to have a good and balanced diet with each meal containing a portion of carbohydrate, protein and fat each and meals should be taken four hours apart. Include a lot of fruits and vegetables in your diet.

Consume enough water at least eight to nine glasses each day. Drink a lot of green tea. Avoid any soda, milk or hot beverages. Avoid dairy, including milk, yogurt and cheese. Reduce red meat and focus on eggs or fish instead of meat.

You need to exercises. Start with yoga and cardio twice a week and increase it eventually. It is very important to counteract the weight gain and helps fight any physical illnesses.

Avoid fried food. Stick to the grilled version instead.

Follow the above advice and you will be good to go. Do not worry.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Sandhya Narayanan Kutty
Dr. Sandhya Narayanan Kutty


Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Family Physician

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy