Q. My daughter is very thin. Please suggest few weight gaining products?

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 03, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 08, 2020

My daughter is 21 years old and is very thin. Her weight is only 33 kg and height is 5'4". Since her birth she is of low weight and does not have any medical problems. Kindly advice some treatment plan that would help her to increase her weight. How long will it take for her to gain weight with medicines? Kindly suggest few weight gaining products suitable for her.

#

• But, that is a prescription medicine as this is used under clear indications after physical examination of growth hormone levels tested by a laboratory.
  • Her family physician can help her in this regard and if indicated he may inject it subcutaneously.

Other options for her are:

1. Healthy and balanced diet.
  2. More proteins, fats and lipids.
  3. Syrups for appetite stimulation.
  • Also, ask her physician to rule out any thyroid disease as that also causes weight loss.
  • Duration to gain weight depends on the reason for weight loss. Once the cause is removed, she will start getting normal weight soon.

Revert back for further details to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|