Q. Why does weight loss occur in a patient with TB and pneumonia after an extensive phase?

Dr. Ohams Ike Henry
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 06, 2019 and last reviewed on: Jun 10, 2019

A TB and pneumonia patient for the last two months passed the extensive phase and gained two kg. But recently she lost two kg weight, and she feels ill and weak every afternoon. She takes her medication regularly and on time. Why does this occur?

#

I guess the symptoms of cough and chest pain are resolving. If she compliants with her anti koch regimen she would not be losing much weight. But it is well known that chronic illness like tb and pneumonia can cause extensive weight loss and anorexia which again add to the weight loss. You need to see a dietician for prescribed dieting to help increase your calorie intake. Multivitamin should also be taken to improve appetite. Also do a chest X-ray to see the extend of the lesion in the chest with sputum afb.

|