Q. I have weight loss due to digestion issues. How to gain the weight back?

Published on Sep 14, 2017

I am suffering from digestion issues, mostly bloating, from more than seven months. While taking medicines, I was feeling fine, and once I stopped them, my symptoms recurred. My present symptoms include indigestion, constipation, improper motions, low appetite, weight loss, inability to gain weight, acne, anal itching, body aches, etc.

I have issues with my mind also such as lack of concentration, confusion and other problems. I consulted a neurologist who said my vitamin B12 levels were low. So, I took supplements. Now, after taking those medinces too, I do not feel much of an improvement.

In the past, I was affected by worms for around five months. When I took medicines for that, many of my problems got solved. But, digestion issues persist. I consulted a gastro doctor two months back. He said there were no structural problems present and prescribed Cadigut, Acta pro, and Folizorb. Once, I started to take those medicines, I felt good, and my weight improved. But, once I stopped those, the same problems restarted.

Now, I am on Acta pro. Before this, I never had issues with digestion. It all started with worms. After presenting this query, the doctor asked me to check for bacterial overgrowth in the intestine (SIBO), hydrogen breath test and asked to take probiotics. My appointment for the test is next month. Is there anything that I have to follow before the test? Please suggest which probiotic tablets to take.

Critical Care Physician Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Gastroenterology Nephrology Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors) Rheumatology
#

• As far as your questions are concerned, the following are my answers. Just go on an empty stomach so that if required, they can do an endoscopy. All the tests can be performed on an empty stomach.
  • I personally recommend my patients a probiotic known as VSL#3. That is to be taken twice daily.

I hope it helps you. If you have any further queries, please ask me.

For further queries consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

I have weight loss, increased hunger, thirst and frequent urination. What can it be?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 19 year old female. My height is 5 feet and 6 inches, and my weight is 160. For the past month, I have been experiencing weight loss, increased hunger, increased thirst, and frequently need to go to the bathroom to pee out large amounts. My skin has become dry. I have also lost...  Read Full >>

Dr. Pratik Patil
General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Oncologist

Answer: Hello doctor, Welcome to icliniq.com. All of these symptoms, along with weight loss and dry skin point to diabetes. Polyphagia refers to excessive hunger or increased appetite. Polydipsia refers to increased thirst. Polyuria refers to increased urination. .I suggest you screen yourself for blood sug...  Read Full

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) - Symptoms, Causes and Treatment

Article Overview: Irritable bowel syndrome is one of the annoying gastrointestinal tract diseases because of the chronic nature of the disease and the variety of symptoms that can interfere with your daily life. Read Article

Dr. Mahmoud Abdallah Elashkar

Irritable bowel syndrome is a functional disturbance of colonic motility without organic causes. IBS is characterized by abdominal pain and altered bowel habits. Causes:  Unknown, but psychological disturbance plays a role. Symptoms: IBS is known to have a long history with long interval pe...  Read Article