Q. I have weight loss, increased hunger, thirst and frequent urination. What can it be?

Dr. Pratik Patil
Published on Jul 14, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 25, 2019

Hello doctor,

I am a 19 year old female. My height is 5 feet and 6 inches, and my weight is 160. For the past month, I have been experiencing weight loss, increased hunger, increased thirst, and frequently need to go to the bathroom to pee out large amounts. My skin has become dry. I have also lost quite a bit of weight. I experience moodiness and I am often tired despite a good night's sleep. I brought these up with my doctor but she dismissed my concerns. What could be causing these symptoms?

Dr. Pratik Patil

General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Oncology
#

• All of these symptoms, along with weight loss and dry skin point to diabetes.
  1. Polyphagia refers to excessive hunger or increased appetite.
  2. Polydipsia refers to increased thirst.
  3. Polyuria refers to increased urination.
  • .I suggest you screen yourself for blood sugar levels and thyroid profile. It is highly likely there will be abnormalities.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Related Video

How can passing urine while sleeping be treated in a child?

Query: Hello doctor,My boy baby is 9 years old and is still passing urine on the bed while sleeping. While I discussed with him, he said he is not feeling. As per doctor suggestion I used to wake up him by night for passing the urine but it did not work. Day time he gets it urgent and runs towards the bath...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. First, you have to rule out the organic or structural cause of enuresis, like urinary tract infections, obstruction, polyuria, diabetes, and any medicine. Second, if the organic cause is ruled out then you have to review the toilet training of your child, and medicine s...  Read Full

I developed itchy and dry skin after dyeing hair in salon. Can you have a look?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a question about my skin condition. I have developed a really itchy and dry skin after I dyed my hair. Here are the symptoms. I do not know what the condition is as my appointment is months away. Can I attach pictures?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen your query and examined your given picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It seems you have developed allergic contact dermatitis to hair dye. Though you may not have had this on your previous exposure, now onwards you may have a severe re...  Read Full