Q. Should I brush my teeth after a wisdom tooth removal?

Dr. Shamaz Mohamed
Published on Jun 27, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 03, 2019

I just got all four of my wisdom teeth removed last week. I was looking at my back teeth, both top and bottom. On all the four teeth, at the very back of my mouth, just front of where the wisdom teeth were, I noticed what appears to be brown hairline-looking marks in the pits and on the sides of those back teeth. I am afraid they are cavities because, I did not brush much the past week, as I did not want to upset the wisdom teeth holes. Does this sound like cavities to you? I cannot think of what else they could be, but I did not realize they formed that quick. I am really upset because I am 18, and I have never once had a cavity in the past. And, now it seems like I do, just because my wisdom teeth did not allow me to brush back there.

#

• There is nothing to worry. They must be just stained pits and fissures. Since you have not brushed your teeth, or maintained your oral hygiene for a week, they have developed.
  • I insist that you start gentle brushing and rinsing of your mouth twice daily with any over the counter mouth wash. This will help maintain a minimum oral hygiene.
  • You can get the stains removed by your dentist, by undergoing scaling and polishing of your teeth after your wisdom tooth socket are healed completely. This may take around two months.

If you still have some concerns, you can consult me by uploading a picture of those stains.

For further queries consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

Why is Chlorhexidine mouthwash used only twice daily?

Query: Hello doctor, Why is Chlorhexidine mouthwash used only twice and not thrice daily?  Read Full »

Is it necessary to get wisdom teeth removed?

Query: Hello doctor, I have wisdom tooth. Is it necessary to remove it?  Read Full »

Two of my wisdom teeth are impacted. Is it better to remove?

Query: Hi doctor, I visited a dentist and he completed deep cleaning of all four quadrants. I got composite fillings on one side of the mouth for five cavities (right side). However, I still have four cavities on the left side. I have two options. Wait for three more months and take care of it, as my in...  Read Full »