Q. Grafted unhealing leg wound opened up after 12 years. Is it varicose veins?

Dr. Vandana Andrews
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 05, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 10, 2020

Around 12 years back, my unhealing leg wound was cured by multiple skin grafting. Now, after 12 years the wound opened up. Reason is unknown. Is it varicose? I have attached the latest snaps.

#

• Wound dehiscence occurs when surgical wound closures reopen instead of proper healing.
  • Reasons or people who are at high risk for wound dehiscence are as follows:
  1. Patients with a weak immune system or those people who are malnourished.
  2. It can also be due to underlying chronic medical illness such as diabetes mellitus, smoking, obesity, premature post-surgery exercise and because of heavy lifting.
  • I would suggest you to see a doctor without delay for the proper care of your wound healing and do all the necessary test to rule out any underlying systemic illness.
  • The risk of dehiscence increases with over tightening of sutures, poor suturing technique, inappropriate surgery site and the suturing material used.

1. Can be due to weak immune system or malnutrition or chronic medical illness.
2. Over-tightening of sutures or poor suturing technique followed. It can also be due to the suture material used.
3. In appropriate surgery site grafted.
4. smoking can be a cause.
5. Can be due to obesity.
6. It could have caused because of premature post-surgery exercise.
7. Heavy lifting.

1. Physical examination from a general surgeon is a must.
2. Blood tests such as CBC (complete blood count) and wound culture to be done.
3. Check post-prandial, fasting blood sugar and glycated hemoglobin (PP/FBS/HbA1C).

Wound dehiscence.

Good wound care and hygiene (with appropriate dressing and cleaning as instructed by your doctor).

1. Regular wound dressing.
2. Antibiotics to be taken if the culture is positive for micro-organisms.

Revert back with the investigations to a general practitioner online.--->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

What should I do now?

#

• Please see a doctor in person. I wish you good health.

For further information consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

|