Q. Is surgery necessary for grade 3 dislocation of ACL?

Answered by Dr. Anuj Gupta and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
Do you have a question on Acromioclavicular Ligament or Ligament Injury? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

My husband dislocated his ACL. I would like to get his X-rays evaluated for a second opinion. He was diagnosed with grade III dislocation. Is surgery necessary based on the X-rays attached? What are the risks if he does not operate? How does non-operative treatment compare? How long does he have to make a decision on surgery based on the X-rays? The doctors mentioned that if he does surgery, he would need to have two procedures. Could you advise what are the names of the procedures to repair his shoulder? It was also noted that there is haziness in the lower lung. Is immediate treatment needed for this? How severe is this?