Q. I have numbness in my fingertip even after cauterization of the cut wound. Why?

Dr. Zubayeralam

I cut my finger with a knife while cutting sweet potatoes and went to the ER where they cauterized the wound. Now one week later, my fingertip is still numb and tight. The color of my skin is changing around the wound. I am not sure if this is an expected outcome of the healing process or not.

Dr. Zubayeralam

General Medicine Internal Medicine Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you are suffering from soreness and numbness surrounding the wound of the tip of your cutting finger. You are more concerned about the color changes of the wound.

As the damaged tissue regenerates, it pushes out the scab, replacing it with new skin. As the time passes, scab becomes darker or black. Black scab indicates the healing process is maturing, as the color of scab was initially dark red or brown.

After developing a new skin on your wound, it will subside all your present sufferings. You can accelerate your healing process by taking Clindamycin and Vitamin C twice daily. So your present clinical scenario is the expected outcome of the healing process.

| 

So are you saying that the color of my finger around the wound is normal? What about the numbness?

Dr. Zubayeralam

#

Yes, I think the color of your finger around the wound is normal. According to your query, this type of wound may injure a nerve causing numbness in the finger. Again swelling around the nerve may develop from an injury, which can also cause numbness. Your numbness will disappear within two to four weeks. You can take Vitamin B complex supplements and finger exercises like stretching out your finger widely and keeping the position for 10 seconds for your numbness several times.

Again, you can undergo electromyography (EMG) and nerve conduction study (NCS) to detect any nerve injury in your wound.

You can take the medications as follows:

Capsule Cleocin 150 mg (Clindamycin phosphate) 1+0+1 for 7-10 days and tablet Nature's Bounty Super B-Complex 1+0+1 for one or two months.

By taking the above-mentioned medications, you can be able to accelerate your healing process and subside the numbness in your finger.

|